Trying to get new version of Firefox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomflkey

Trying to get new version of Firefox

Post by tomflkey »

I intially tried to download mint 17.1, but had problems with what to do after it was downloaded to get it to work.
I installed Mint 15 Olive from a USB, but the problem is that the Firefox browser is out of date and does not work on some sites.
I downloaded a new version of Firefox but do not know how to get Linux Mint to use the new version.
I deleted the old verion on Software Managet then tried to install Firefox again thinking it would pick up a new version, but when I clicked on "install" nothing happens.
I have a HP Compaq DC760 2.8GHZ 160 GBHD, I do not know if that makes a difference or not.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Trying to get new version of Firefox

Post by Cosmo. »

Mint 15 is obsolete, the servers down since very long time. You will get nothing for that, but you numerous security and stability holes.

I do not understand, where the problem is to install LM 17.1, if you were able to install LM 15. The installation procedure is identical.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Mint's User Guide will tell you what to do with the iso you downloaded, and the proper way to install it too! Just choose which desktop you downloaded (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE), and download the coresponding pdf from the link below. Good luck.

http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
tomflkey

Post by tomflkey »

Thank you for your help.
How can I tell if my computer is a 32 or 64 bit?
I'll need to know that to get the correct software.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

How can I tell if my computer is a 32 or 64 bit?

Code: Select all

uname -m
if 64 bit it will return x86_64
if 32 bit it will return i686
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
tomflkey

Post by tomflkey »

Where do I enter the CODE: SELECT ALL ?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Code: Select All is not part of the command.
On the forum click on "Code: Select All" --it just selects/highlights everything in the window.
Then right click and copy.
Open a terminal window, right click in the empty space and select paste.
Press enter--the terminal will display the results of your entry
There are also keyboard shortcuts for the copy/paste operations.
Or you can just type the command uname -m in the terminal, but notice the space
after uname and before -m.
Using the code select and copy/paste is easier when the code entry is complex and that will make sure
you have a correct command.
Screenshot.png
Good luck.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”