Mint on Asus Eee 901

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint on Asus Eee 901

Postby Zoomzar on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi

I am really new to linux. I am running Mac os X and have been for more than 10 years, but I decided that I wanna play around with Linux. I ordered an Asus Eee 901 and I wanna change the version of Linux on it. I was thinking of running Ubuntu-eee because it was easy but I really fell in love with Linux Mint.

Ok my question is will Linux Mit run on my Eee 901 without problems? I read about installing ubuntu 8.10 (instead of 8.04.1 which is ubuntu-eee) and apparently there are kernel's specific for Asus Eee. Can I install them with Mint running? And will I have to in order to have everything like webcame working?

Hope these questions are not to silly. I also need someone to recommend a book on Linux that is good to start with.

Thanks

Rasmus
Denmark
Zoomzar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint on Asus Eee 901

Postby koss on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:15 am

Heya there Zoomzar! One thing the EEEpc has helped me with is getting to really experience and learn more about linux. I love it!

And yes, Linux Mint runs beautifully on the eeepc. I have the 1000HA, and of course LM is my favorite distro of all time no matter what computer I am using.

I don't like the eee-specific repackaging of various other distro's, from what I read on ubuntu's forums and a certain eee user forum... it has its problems. It isn't as stable, and something that was suppose to be easy turns out to be more trouble to a new user.

I've run Linux Mint 5 "Elyssa", Linux Mint 6 RC1, and now Linux Mint 6 "Felicia". There is a special kernal that is ubuntu friendly for both 8.04 and 8.10, and ACPI scripts that will restore full functionality that the eeepc has when its shipped from the manufacturer.

Although, I am not exactly sure if If it is allowed to link other websites, talk about installing other kernals, and link scripts directly to another web forum... I would be happy to help you every step of the way for your install. From USB install, to whatever I am currently capable of doing on my very own netbook.

Feel free to PM me!
Linux Mint 7 "Gloria"(AMD Athlon XP "Barton" 3400+, 512mb RAM, Nvidia Geforce 6800) Built this years ago!
Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" (ASUS EEEpc 1000HA black 160gb with 2gb RAM) Might as well be attached to me by the hip
koss
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint on Asus Eee 901

Postby vva on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:05 pm

I would also be interested in any info on installing Mint on an eee pc 901. Is it the same as with Unbuntu Intrepid using the http://www.array.org/ubuntu/ kernel and scouring the web and running endless scripts from to get everything working right?

I'd like to try the Xfce edition to see whether it is more efficient on the eee than Gnome. Or should I try Fluxbox? Anyone tried either on an eee?

I like green.

r. vva
vva
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions