LinuxMint 6 - 32 bit running on a 64-bit computer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

LinuxMint 6 - 32 bit running on a 64-bit computer

Postby ieduarte on Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:31 am

I own a Dell Computer equipped with a Core 2 Duo Processor and loaded with 4GB of RAM, two 320GB SATA Hard Drives, nVidia 7800GS Graphic Adapter, Sound Blaster X-Fi Music Xtreme sound adapter, which I know before hand that is not supported by ALSA yet, so I will have to tweak around with OSS in order to make it work properly. However, I am very interested into switching to LinuxMint 6 - Felicia, but there is not a 64-bit version yet, and even though the 32-bit version will run on my computer, my question is: Will it be able to handle 4GB of RAM ? Will it make use of all available resources on this computer ?

Thanks
ieduarte
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LinuxMint 6 - 32 bit running on a 64-bit computer

Postby Alpha-Geek on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:43 pm

From what I can see, LinuxMint 6 has the same memory limit as Windows 32 bit os's. That would be 3.2 GB. I don't miss that 800 MB. Honestly, my install of Mint 6 with 4 GB on my box works GREAT. Give it a try. I think you'll be impressed.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LinuxMint 6 - 32 bit running on a 64-bit computer

Postby ieduarte on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:30 am

As a matter of fact, it does, I ran it as a LiveCD and found only 3.0 GB used, however, that's a hefty amount of RAM for Linux, so I will give it a shot.

Thanks
ieduarte
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions