LinuxMint 6 - 32 bit running on a 64-bit computer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LinuxMint 6 - 32 bit running on a 64-bit computer

Postby ieduarte on Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:31 am

I own a Dell Computer equipped with a Core 2 Duo Processor and loaded with 4GB of RAM, two 320GB SATA Hard Drives, nVidia 7800GS Graphic Adapter, Sound Blaster X-Fi Music Xtreme sound adapter, which I know before hand that is not supported by ALSA yet, so I will have to tweak around with OSS in order to make it work properly. However, I am very interested into switching to LinuxMint 6 - Felicia, but there is not a 64-bit version yet, and even though the 32-bit version will run on my computer, my question is: Will it be able to handle 4GB of RAM ? Will it make use of all available resources on this computer ?

Thanks
ieduarte
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LinuxMint 6 - 32 bit running on a 64-bit computer

Postby Alpha-Geek on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:43 pm

From what I can see, LinuxMint 6 has the same memory limit as Windows 32 bit os's. That would be 3.2 GB. I don't miss that 800 MB. Honestly, my install of Mint 6 with 4 GB on my box works GREAT. Give it a try. I think you'll be impressed.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LinuxMint 6 - 32 bit running on a 64-bit computer

Postby ieduarte on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:30 am

As a matter of fact, it does, I ran it as a LiveCD and found only 3.0 GB used, however, that's a hefty amount of RAM for Linux, so I will give it a shot.

Thanks
ieduarte
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions