Setting PCManFM as default File Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sucrerouge

Setting PCManFM as default File Manager

Post by sucrerouge »

Hello everyone,

I am really new on Linux Mint and on Linux in general. I am trying to get rid of the Thunar file manager running on "Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca \n \l", found that using the cat /etc/issue command. I 've runned through the terminal the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install exo-utils
exo-preferred-applications
went to Utilities and then there was nothing listed. I installed dolphin through

sudo apt-get install dolphin
and selected it from /usr/share/applications/kde4/dolphin.desktop, then restarted but nothing changed. Then I installed PCManFM through

sudo apt-get install PCManFM
and then in the dropdown menu the option PCMan File Manager appeared on top of the option "Other...". I restarted and then again nothing changed. Any suggestions? I also installed "kde-baseapps" cause I've read somewhere they are needed for dolphin to work properly.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Setting PCManFM as default File Manager

Post by Flemur »

Then I installed PCManFM through
and then in the dropdown menu the option PCMan File Manager appeared on top of the option "Other...".
Which dropdown menu?

Did you run
exo-preferred-applications -> Utilities -> Select pcmanfm
after installing pcmanfm?

If that's the dropdown menu you referred to, is pcmanfm shown as selected?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mikepitas wrote:Hello everyone,

I am really new on Linux Mint and on Linux in general. I am trying to get rid of the Thunar file manager running on "Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca \n \l", found that using the cat /etc/issue command. I 've runned through the terminal the following:

sudo apt-get install exo-utils
exo-preferred-applications
went to Utilities and then there was nothing listed. I installed dolphin through

sudo apt-get install dolphin
and selected it from /usr/share/applications/kde4/dolphin.desktop, then restarted but nothing changed. Then I installed PCManFM through

and then in the dropdown menu the option PCMan File Manager appeared on top of the option "Other...". I restarted and then again nothing changed. Any suggestions? I also installed "kde-baseapps" cause I've read somewhere they are needed for dolphin to work properly.

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you're creating an unhealthy mess..... :shock:

Please read this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... le-manager
(item 5.1, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Please read this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... le-manager
"Don't install a second full-blown file manager"
I have thunar, pcmanfm and xfe; all run fine without any problems. Replacing thunar with pcmanfm should be easy (might need to install some extra stuff to access samba and trash...maybe).
xfe is nice because is doesn't use the freedesktop.org stuff.

OP: what's your desktop? (xfce, mate, cin...?)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

You can make an easily-reversible change to a default command by ''lying'' to the command interpreter...when I say caja you run pcmanfm...

sudo cp -s /usr/bin/pcmanfm /usr/local/bin/caja
...for example. When next a script calls caja it's the symbolic link to pcmanfm that actually executes. On a Mate system (uses caja) all the desktop prettiness vanishes, because pcmanfm can't do what caja can with desktop decoration. I suspect pcmanfm pretty much replaces thunar though...

sudo cp -s /usr/bin/pcmanfm /usr/local/bin/thunar
...I am guessing. If you don't like the result, just delete the symbolic link /usr/local/bin/thunar and the original will be in use again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”