encrypted harddrive?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

encrypted harddrive?

Postby bene on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Hello,

is it possible to set up a encrypted LVM during Linux Mint 6 setup and install the OS on it, like it is with the Ubuntu alternate cd? I plan to install the 64bit version once it's released.
Second thing, will there be any community edition in 64bit?

Bene
bene
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: encrypted harddrive?

Postby Fred on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Bene wrote:
is it possible to set up a encrypted LVM during Linux Mint 6 setup and install the OS on it...

No, not the way you are thinking about. The current installer won't do it for you. It can be done after the install, but you will have to do it manually, the old fashioned way.

I would suggest you look at TrueCrypt. It is open source and peer reviewed. I think it is one of the best encryption routines out there for Linux.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby bene on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:47 pm

Hello,

thanks for the quick reply, Fred.

No, TrueCrypt is not what I meant. Or is it possible to encrypt everything with it, including swap? I thought TrueCrypt were good for little encryption tasks which you initiate manually, not for "on-the-fly" encryption of everything as with the mentioned Ubuntu method. With it, everything except /boot will be encrypted. Which is very useful.

To solve this problem, one could set up Ubuntu Intrepid (maybe even 64bit?) and try to install Linux Mint over it. Would this be possible? Or are there deeper modifications than the packages from the Linux Mint repository, which can't be imported that easily?

And still the second question: any Linux Mint 6 CE in 64bit?
bene
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:38 pm

bene,

What you said about TrueCrypt used to be true. It has come a long way in the last year or so. You can do on-the-fly encryption/decryption of entire partitions, including swap now. You can even hide an operating system in an encrypted volume so all that can be seen is a honey pot system. You wouldn't even be able to tell encryption was being used.

There may be a 64 bit version coming but it isn't here yet. As far as making Mint out of Ubuntu, it isn't quite that simple. There is a lot more to Mint than just the repos and default codec installations. If you know what you are doing you could try it but I fear you would wind up with the worst of both worlds as opposed to the best of each. What you would be trying to do is to duplicate the efforts of the Mint development team.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby bene on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Okay, that's news to me. Thanks for the hint, I'll use TrueCrypt then. Sounds like it is more secure then the Ubuntu thing :-)
bene
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sockrebel on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:10 am

Fred wrote:
...What you said about TrueCrypt used to be true. It has come a long way in the last year or so. You can do on-the-fly encryption/decryption of entire partitions, including swap now. ...

AFAIK, TrueCrypt is not the software for full-system encryption. dm-crypt (which the ubuntu alt cd uses) is better suited for that. I've been unable to find any documentation to do this with TrueCrypt and Linux (only Windows - http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=sys-en ... pported-os ).
sockrebel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:05 am

sockrebel,

I stand corrected. I thought it could handle an encrypted Linux partition now too. When I use it on notebooks I usually don't try to encrypt anything but data partitions anyway. I really don't care if the operating system can be seen. OSs are a dime a dozen. It is the data that is valuable and needs protecting.

Anyway, thanks for the correction. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions