[SOLVED]17.2 slow and randomly freezing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deadline
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]17.2 slow and randomly freezing

Post by deadline »

I've been using 17.1 live on a friends laptop. I do this because mint is lightning quick compared to WIn8.

So I thought i'd try 17.2. Used unetbootin like the last time, used the same usb stick. When i checked medium integrity it was fine.

Then problems start. I get a screen that says no disk cache and then it shows the mint logo, and then the no disk cache screen again. After about five minutes it gets to the login screen and i finally get to the main menu. I went to change the time and date and raise the volume and i noticed the windows booted up very slowly. I started firefox and it took a couple minutes to load. I downloaded firefox and now i'm notice the network speed is slow as well. Like dialup slow it took more than a minute to download the chrome deb. I tried installing it using gdeb and it failed. Repeated the process, failed. Also the browser gets stuck mid load when changing pages, and sometimes the entire system freezes for minutes at a time. So now I have a computer that is slower than the windows os, with slow internet, with a browser I don't like.

Anyone have a clue why this would happen or should i format the stick and try again? Or does this laptop just prefer Mint 17.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clatterfordslim
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 17.2 slow and randomly freezing

Post by clatterfordslim »

Hi Ya

I have never been a fan, of USB flash drive installs. I recommend, getting a 500GB external hard drive, format to ex4 on the install screen of your DVD. Also make sure your lap top USB ports are powerful enough, USB 3's are quicker transfer rate. I used to run Linux Mint 13 Precise on an external and it ran without a hitch.

Download ISO image burn it to DVD and install to your external hard drive. Pick something else on the install screen, failing that, if you don't want to install on a external hard drive, install internally, by allocating space on your main computer's hard drive and have a dual boot system. As Linux is progressing to be up there with today's technology, you'll find a lot of the Linux OS's need to be installed internally, because it needs direct power from your computer to run smoothly. Or failing that, install Linux Puppy onto your USB it runs in ram, which won't slow down your speed, when on the internet. You can I think either run it live off of your DVD, or USB. Using external hard drive, means you can take it where ever you go and the size of these externals are getting smaller and smaller.
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

Occasional reports of failures burning with unetbootin.

I've never had a a problem I can recall using Rufus.

Always verify the md5 checksum.

I'd try another installation.
deadline
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deadline »

Tried a couple times with Unetbootin and then i saw the rufus post. That seems to do the trick, although I still get the no disk caching/ disk caching writetrough error at the beginning but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything else.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED]17.2 slow and randomly freezing

Post by I2k4 »

I've run persistent live USB for several years and tried most installers but not Rufus. You don't mention exactly what you're using / doing for the live install: my standard set up is an 8gb thumb drive, using the Pendrive installer in Windows to both format the thumb drive and set half the drive as "persistence" to save settings and installations / updates between reboots:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

I've generally had success with Unetbootin from Linux but find the boot time for those installations takes longer - one of the main differences between installers is the grinding away it requires before it boots the OS.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
deadline
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deadline »

I'll try that, I could use persistence, my laptop likes to lock up completely every couple days and I have to restart and reset all the settings and download chrome again.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Careful of that "locking up" if it's a hard-drive problem - you can lose data. My laptop started to freeze and go dark a couple of years ago, cured (knock on wood) by removing a few easy panels and vacuuming the heck out of all its crevices - a can of compressed air wasn't needed - it was only dust / overheating causing a protective shutdown. Good luck.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”