How to get flash games running faster?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How to get flash games running faster?

Postby rgephart on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:56 am

I am trying to get extended life out of an older computer. It is a 1.2GHz P3 with 512mb of Ram. It is home built, so it has a couple drives, sound card, etc.

This is the computer that I want people to be able to use to surf the internet. Firefox has been the default web browser for some time in this house, so I am not expecting any problems with that.

So I tried out a handful of live cd's and decided to install LM 6 :D

Everything is running well except that it seems that websites that use flash are a bit slow. The websites that my children use the most are www.clubpenguin.com and www.webkinz.com

The sites load fine, it is just the lag/pause that they get between clicks that makes navigation difficult and the games hard to play.

I looked and I don't see the adobe plugin installed in Firefox. Shockwave is there, but the Adobe Flash player is not. I did see some generic plugins that may be the flash player, but I'm not sure.

I went to adobe.com and wasn't sure what version of the linux flash player to download and once I downloaded, I had a feeling that I would have issues installing.

I checked mintInstall and didn't see a flash player either.

I will continue to dink around with stuff this afternoon, but would appreciate some ideas on how to get the flash games to run at speed.

Thanks,

Rob
rgephart
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to get flash games running faster?

Postby Husse on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:37 am

The latest flash is installed by default in Felicia (I think so - at least there is no newer in the repositories)
Flash is generally a bit unstable (for both Windows and Linux) and I know of no settings you could change
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rgephart on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:06 am

I found this info and it seems to have solved my issues :D

Re: Flash Player - Crashes when playing a video in Firefox
by jpe30 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 am

If you are using Felicia I was having the same problem also. What I did was...

Go to: Menu > Package Manager

Then search for flash, you should see a package called flashplugin-nonfree
Right-Click it and select Mark for Removal
Then right click the adobe-flashplugin directly above the nonfree one, and select mark for installation.

Up top hit apply and you're done!"
rgephart
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:24 pm

This is what I'd suggest. You nailed it already. Downgrade to flash-9, which is done by following the instructions given above.

I have zip all problems with my Dell netbook running Ubuntu 8.04 and Flash-9. I have loads of Flash problems with my Minty laptop with Flash-10.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby alexand3r on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:23 am

I have a similar problem, though the solution given causes many flash elements to stop working all together, like on Youtube for example...
"Ask not what your Linux can do for you, ask what you can do for your Linux"
alexand3r
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions