Why does it fail to wakeup?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Why does it fail to wakeup?

Postby indygeek79 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Alot of times my laptop will fail to wakup after being put to sleep or automatically going to sleep.

It will look like it tries to wake up but all I get is a gery screen and nothing else or other times there is nothing at all. I have to restart X to get it do anything. There are even times where I have to just hold the power button down and turn it off.

Is this something that alot see or is it an issue on just my laptop.

I am using a Dell Precision Laptop M65 running the nvidia driver. I just put a check mark in the restricted drivers thing.
indygeek79
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why does it fail to wakeup?

Postby Husse on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:41 am

I just put a check mark in the restricted drivers thing.

What do you mean?
Possible solution here
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18346
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby indygeek79 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Admin>Hardware Drivers Checked the enabled box, let the nvidia driver install and rebooted.

Thanks for the link I will read over it when i get a little bit of time in the next day or so. I skimmed it a bit and it looks like it is talking about hibernate instead of suspend. I have since figured out that if I just type my password at the grey screen and hit enter it lets me back in and everything seems to be just fine. I can deal with that for now. Just got tired of loosing things from restarting X.

Some more info, when the grey shows up just before the whole thing goes grey, i see a mouse with a pixelated square around it for a second then everything just goes all grey.
indygeek79
Level 1
Level 1

Postby garda on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:30 am

Hi,

The tutorial I wrote is indeed meant to solve hibernation problem that's caused by nVidia restricted driver. As for Suspend-to-RAM, it's a lot more complicated than one might think and I myself still can't get a definite clue on how to get it working on most laptops. It's a hit-and-miss most of the times. The best solution I can offer, if you depend greatly on this feature, is don't install the restricted driver on your laptop. I know, you'll lose those often practically useful Compiz effects but you'll have one feature that's more crucial than eye candy.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby indygeek79 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:05 pm

If I don't have the driver enabled, I can't use my external monitor properly while at work on the docking station. Before the driver was enabled I couldn't get the external monitor to work at all. Now that I have it installed if I boot while on the dock the laptop LCD disables and the external is enabled. I can also dock and restart X and it will start working properly with the external. Works just as good the other way when I take it off the dock. Still not as good as in windows with a Dell laptop but completely usable this way.

I will play with disabling some or all of the effects and see if I can find a workaround for it.

thanks for the reply

Oh ya i just remembered I had to edit a file to get full screen to work with Gnome-RDP. I was unable to leave full screen with ctrl+alt+enter. I don't remember what that was but I will look it up and undo it.
indygeek79
Level 1
Level 1

Postby indygeek79 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:10 pm

indygeek79 wrote:Oh ya i just remembered I had to edit a file to get full screen to work with Gnome-RDP. I was unable to leave full screen with ctrl+alt+enter. I don't remember what that was but I will look it up and undo it.

Here is what I did.
"1. The <Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm)> tool to configure your compiz settings have to be installed.

2. Start this tool under SYSTEM -> PREFERENCES

3. Under the category UTILITY -> WORKAROUNDS you have to deactivate the <Legacy Fullscreen Support> which makes Wine and legacy applications fullscreen properly."

Refrence is here. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=595384
indygeek79
Level 1
Level 1

Postby indygeek79 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:57 pm

By changing visual effects to none it seems to be working. Only tried 3 times tho. As soon as I set the effects to any other level I got the grey screen right away.

Could care less about any of the stuff but I do like the desktop switcher. It behaves diffrently when the effects are on. Not that I couldn't get used to going 3 right and then having to go back to the left where as before I could just go left and if I was on the far left one, one more left took me to the far right. Hope that makes sense. Essentially with the effects on there wasn't a stop when you got to the end it just started over again.

Going to have to play with custom visual effects to see what i can get.

Thanks for all
indygeek79
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions