Network Shortcuts solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Network Shortcuts solved

Postby Cyanide on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:24 am

Hi guys,
I am new too this forum, and I have had a quick look around, basically I like the way Mint auto puts a shortcut of the network drive I have been onto. On the desktop(Short cut), I work in a computer shop and we have a file server and its handy to have the shortcut straight on to the desktop so i can go back into when I need to, but when i relog i lose the shortcut on the desktop,

so is it possable to keep the shortcut on the desktop after i relog :)

hope this makes sense guys, and kudos on Mint 6 its excellent

Cheers
Cyanide
Cyanide
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Network Shortcuts

Postby Husse on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:04 pm

We need to know if it's only on the desktop it disappears or if you still can access it.
You can set mintDesktop to show Mounted volumes
If you loose it "completely" it's a matter of mounting it in fstab (sorry - there is so far no simple GUI for this)
In this case look at /etc/mtab while you still see the disk and identify the line for the disk
Copy that line to /etc/fstab - you need of course to be root for that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Network Shortcuts

Postby Cyanide on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:33 am

thank you for the reply

i found a way to do it, if i set up a laucher via SMB://server/folder the shortcut stays on my desktop :) and my friend showed me how to use was it gconf-editor to disable the shortcuts ever time i go on the server :)

so problem solved :) thank you guys keep up the good work :)

"We need to know if it's only on the desktop it disappears or if you still can access it.
You can set mintDesktop to show Mounted volumes
If you loose it "completely" it's a matter of mounting it in fstab (sorry - there is so far no simple GUI for this)
In this case look at /etc/mtab while you still see the disk and identify the line for the disk
Copy that line to /etc/fstab - you need of course to be root for th"

to answer your questions, I could still access the server, it just just a little gripe having to log into the server each time :) so it was only disappearing "the short cut" after I logged off :)

thank you again though for the suggestion.
Cyanide
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions