ATI 200m laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ATI 200m laptop

Postby unreal223 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:24 am

Ok I have a quick question, before this release I always had to enable the ati fglrx driver in the restricted repository to get desktop effects, ect. Now when I do that my laptops screen starts blacking out. It cuts on and off randomly, however without enabling the driver desktop effects seem to work. So whats changed and am I getting the full power(haha yeah I know its a crappy card) of this graphics card without enabling the driver? It seems to work fine but I haven't tested it with videos or any thing.

Everything else works great though and if this is sorted then I could actually use this distro as my one and only.
unreal223
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI 200m laptop

Postby AK Dave on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Disable compiz. You'll be happier.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Re: ATI 200m laptop

Postby Labaman on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:45 pm

AK Dave wrote:Disable compiz. You'll be happier.

Or use the open ATI driver with DRI and DRI2 support (enable by default since Ubuntu 8.10/Mint 6.0).
Labaman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions