ubuntu-desktop?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ubuntu-desktop?

Postby sockrebel on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:59 pm

how would LM6 be affected if I installed ubuntu-desktop?
I understand that this would 'install all the default Ubuntu applications', but what exactly would it do/undo to my current system? (I'm not sure what 'all default Ubuntu applications' means).
thx.
sockrebel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ubuntu-desktop?

Postby Fred on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:33 pm

sockrebel,

You would have some kind of mixture of the two distros. Mint is not Ubuntu, even though Mint uses the Ubuntu repos. It might work, kinda, but it might break beyond repair too.

If you do that you are on your own. I would suggest you make sure you have your data backed up before you try it. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: ubuntu-desktop?

Postby mikpap on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:06 am

I like playing around with these two distros. I'm not a linux expert but the last 2 years I learned a lot about it. Well, I use in my laptop (HP Pavlion dv1070-ev) ubuntu 8.10 64bit customized with mint utilities (install 1st the mintsystem, then the other tools which I found as .deb files at packages.linuxmint.com), codecs, and all repos activated. As far as I know or use (programs and system utilities) everything works perfect. Waiting though for the 64bit Felicia.
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions