dual boot question......

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

dual boot question......

Postby HMFIC on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:12 pm

can anyone tell me if it is possible to view and use the windows files using linux mint? is there an easy way to do it. i am thinking about doing a full transfer to linux but i need to be able to test it's compatibility with all of the things that i do with my computer. i am fairly new to linux and don't really understand the cli of it yet, so if there is an easy way to do this it would really help me.
HMFIC
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: dual boot question......

Postby Fred on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:27 pm

HMFIC,

Yes you can have access to your Windows, (NTFS), partition in Linux. Just follow the instructions below.

Open a terminal and type: (put your username in place of mine in all cases.)

mkdir /home/fred/Windows

gksu gedit /etc/fstab

A window will open displaying the fstab file for editing. Put the following line at the end of the file, save and close. ( I am assuming your Windows install is located on the first partition of the first hard drive.)

/dev/sda1 /home/fred/Windows ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0

That is it. Reboot and you should have a folder in your /home named Windows. Clicking on it will open your Windows partition.

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby HMFIC on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:51 am

That did it thank you so much. One of these days I will learn and understand everything you had me type in. Once I get to that point I think I will really be able to enjoy linux. Until then I will have to settle for asking people (like you) that are much smarter than me.

Thanks for your help.
HMFIC
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:15 am

HMFIC,

No No... not smarter at all. Just been around a long time, in almost every sense of the word. :-)

Glad I could help and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions