do I need antivirus program?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

do I need antivirus program?

Postby gychang on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:27 am

coming from windows, weekly antivirus, spyware, etc all necessary in L Mint?

if yes, which program?

thanks,

gychang
--
cruising the desert
--
gychang
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: do I need antivirus program?

Postby Fred on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:07 am

gychang,

From a practical point of view the answer would be no. There have been a few viruses for Linux that have appeared from time to time and quickly disappeared. For a desktop Linux computer, your chances of getting struck by lightning are considerably higher than getting a virus.

I have been running a Linux desktop for over ten years and have never had a problem with a virus. This may change over time but as of today, you have nothing to fear from viruses.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby gychang on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 am

aahhh, great to be in the Linux camp, no need for virus!!,

thanks, much. Like LInuxMint more all the time, aside my printer and workspace switcher working.

gychang
--
cruising the desert
--
gychang
Level 3
Level 3

Postby AK Dave on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:04 pm

I love it when some popup or ad slips through my defenses and proclaims to me that my system is virus infected, but that if I "click here" they'll fix it for me.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions