do I need antivirus program?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

do I need antivirus program?

Postby gychang on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:27 am

coming from windows, weekly antivirus, spyware, etc all necessary in L Mint?

if yes, which program?

thanks,

gychang
--
cruising the desert
--
gychang
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: do I need antivirus program?

Postby Fred on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:07 am

gychang,

From a practical point of view the answer would be no. There have been a few viruses for Linux that have appeared from time to time and quickly disappeared. For a desktop Linux computer, your chances of getting struck by lightning are considerably higher than getting a virus.

I have been running a Linux desktop for over ten years and have never had a problem with a virus. This may change over time but as of today, you have nothing to fear from viruses.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby gychang on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 am

aahhh, great to be in the Linux camp, no need for virus!!,

thanks, much. Like LInuxMint more all the time, aside my printer and workspace switcher working.

gychang
--
cruising the desert
--
gychang
Level 3
Level 3

Postby AK Dave on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:04 pm

I love it when some popup or ad slips through my defenses and proclaims to me that my system is virus infected, but that if I "click here" they'll fix it for me.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions