Sound from both laptop speakers and external speakers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Sound from both laptop speakers and external speakers

Postby Markus on Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:16 am

Hi!
I have tried searching google for my problem, but I can't seem to find the solution to my problem, even though there obviously are other people having the same problem (mostly in different tastes of Ubuntu). None of the solutions I saw on other sites is working for my system. The weirdest thing about this problem is this: Yesterday I installed Linux Mint 5 (Elyssa), and did no configuration of the audio, except choosing the audio-mixer to use under wine, to get music playing from Spotify. This night I wanted to try to upgrade from Elyssa to Felicia, but it went wrong, and I installed Elyssa from a CD again. This time, the problem described in the text under and in the topic-title came along, even though I haven't configured any audio-options (yet).

My problem is that when I am playing music (or any other sound), the sound is coming from both the laptop speakers and the external speakers or headphones plugged into the mini-jack.

I'm currently running Linux Mint 5 (Elyssa) on a HP Compaq nx6325. HP's website is saying this about the audio for my laptop:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12447_div/12447_div.HTML
PremierSound audio/speaker subsystem
ADI1981HD High Definition CODEC
Integrated 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro compatible audio
24-bit DAC
Integrated stereo speakers
Integrated microphone
External volume up, volume down, and mute buttons
Stereo headphone/line out
Stereo microphone in

I'm sorry if I explain in a hard and non-understandable way, and you have to tell me if I really do, because then I will try again. Thank you. :)
Markus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound from both laptop speakers and external speakers

Postby Husse on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:06 pm

This must be an old laptop, or?
Because
Integrated 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro compatible audio
does not exactly sound new to me
Unfortunately I do not have any solution at hand
Run lspci in a terminal and post here (right click to copy)
There may be some clue there
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rolento on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:01 am

I thought the turning off of the speakers is done inside the card when it senses something is plugged in, independant of the operating system and the rest of the computer. If you dont mind wasting a few hours, try putting a non-Linux OS to see if the problem goes away, it will atleast help narrow it down a bit so you will know if it is a Linux issue or not.
rolento
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:39 am

I thought the turning off of the speakers is done inside the card when it senses something is plugged in, independant of the operating system and the rest of the computer

Unfortunately this is not the case.....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Markus on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:28 pm

Thank you for trying to help, guys. But after a couple of restarts, the problem fixed itself, and I have no idea what made it fix itself. Might just have been a problem when initializing the sound-card?
Markus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 45MAC10 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:20 am

I have had the same problem on my toshiba satellite. It has the realtek HD audio card, and is using the default sound driver mint installed; i assume alsa. What was causing it on my system (Elyssa KDE) was actually the KMix utility. My output level shown in the mixer window was turned up for 'front' as well as 'headphone'. Front corresponds to my built in speakers, and my externals are plugged in my headphone jack. If it happens again try turning down your front and/or setting your headphone jack as master.
Hope this can help someone..
45MAC10
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions