hard drive designations

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

hard drive designations

Post by jerrybee »

Why does Mint refer to my IDE hard drives with sdx (SCSI) designations instead of hdx?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: hard drive designations

Post by proxima_centauri »

I think they recently started changing everything to sdx for uniformity. But I'm not positive.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobpur »

I've run into that, too. It's a bit confusing.

I have four drives (2 SATA & 2 PATA). They come up as sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd. I, even, think the PATA opticals have a "sd" designation. I'll have to check on that.

Go to www.distrowatch.com and download, either, of these: Parted Magic, Gparted, or System Rescue cd. The drives come out right when you run these.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jerrybee »

bobpur wrote:I've run into that, too. It's a bit confusing.

I have four drives (2 SATA & 2 PATA). They come up as sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd. I, even, think the PATA opticals have a "sd" designation. I'll have to check on that.

Go to http://www.distrowatch.com and download, either, of these: Parted Magic, Gparted, or System Rescue cd. The drives come out right when you run these.
Thanks for the feedback. I use Gparted all the time when working with Linux partitions, but I may have used it one time too many the other day when re-arranging Linux partitions on this dual-boot HDD. When I'm in Windows, I use Partition Magic. The other day, I re-arranged Linux partitions using Gparted, and needed to also do some modifying of the 2 Windows partitions. So I just forged ahead, in Gparted, to do the Windows partition modifications -- it seemed to go OK. Eventually I re-booted into Windows, started Partition Magic, and it now reports the whole HDD, all the Windows and all the Linux partitions, as being BAD. Both Windows and Linux still work OK. I did find another Windows partition manager that reports the HDD partitions OK, so that put my mind at ease. Too bad I got in a hurry and forgot the advice to use a partition manager for the OS you're working in.

Return to “Beginner Questions”