Can I Partition This?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can I Partition This?

Postby No One on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:31 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking this, but I was going along with the Linux Mint User guide and it was going along fine, now I've kind of hit an issue with partitioning. I'm trying to make the transition from Windows to Linux, so this is a lot of new stuff (and if you'd like to suggest a different OS for a newbie like me to transition to, I'm open to suggestions). Anyway, I was trying to install Linux Mint 6 from a CD-RW (it's all I have that seems to work at the moment) and got to the part where I select the partitions and there were none available. I didn't know what that meant, but looked up some guides.... I went into my Computer Management and to the disk management to find my computer only has one disk and two partitions- one is HP_Recovery and one is HP_Pavilion. It gives me very limited options when I right click. (Open, Explore, Mark Partition as Active, Change Drive Letter and Paths..., Format..., Delete Partition, Properties, Help) Nothing about dividing up the current partition or making a new one... They're both NTFS.

My HP is pretty old. It's a HP Pavilion 750n. It came with Windows XP has up to SP2. I'm not sure what to do with only one disk and none of the site with information about partitioning really addressed a problem like this (least not that I could find...).

I tried to find free partitioning software to help. I tried to get Cute Partition Manager to work and neither of my computers would write the program to a bootable disk. I tried two CD-RW and a DVD+R. My older computer seems to have lost the ability to write disks entirely... My newer Toshiba laptop wrote Linux Mint to the CD-RW and it seemed to work fine.

I no longer use my HP much and so there aren't any important files or whatnot for me to worry about on it. I kind of wanted to experiment with it.
(I'm mainly looking into Linux, because I'm interested in the mini solid state computers [much easier for travel and school]. I was told they run faster and have more memory with Linux and I'm already using some open source programs.)
No One
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I Partition This?

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:43 am

Hi there,

Did you try using the partition editor on the Linux Mint LiveCD?
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby No One on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Hey,

If you mean the one that comes up during the installation, yes, but it didn't show any disks or partitions at all. I can try it again.

+I just realized it's not giving me the "Prepare Disk Space" page at all. Should I try getting Mint onto another disk?
No One
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Can you access the partition editor from the mintmenu before installing on the LiveCD?
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby DataMan on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:02 pm

Ok,

There are a couple of things that might help you out.

If you are able to boot to a CD:

a. Boot to the Live CD version of the Mint version that you are using.
b. BEFORE you attempt to install, go to System -> QTParted (for KDE) or System ->GParted (for Gnome). Launch the partition editor.
c. Checkout you partitions and in single steps:
- reduce the size of your NTFS partition by about 10G (resizing by moving from RIGHT to LEFT)
- The new space should show up as "unallocated".
d. Exit the partition editor and now try the install. Select the option for using unallocated (or available space).

If the above does not work, re-post back here and someone will guide you through pre-partitioning before install.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DataMan on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Additional note on the re-sizing. Attempt to reduce the size of your NTFS partition ONLY if you have at LEAST 15-20G of unused space on the partition. If your NTFS partition is fully utilized report back.

DataMan
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby No One on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

I have plenty of space, 40GBs (18.81GBs are used). I have Gparted, found it, got it to work fine, so it's applying now. Thanks for the help! Hopefully everything will work with the installation after this.

How risky would it be to partition the system I'm working on now? It's a Toshiba Satellite A205 Laptop. Came with Vista (and a camera drive that's driving me crazy). After reading about partitioning it seems like a smart idea. I could have a portion just for my own user files? It seems like that would be useful and easier to use than my current set up.
No One
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DataMan on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:00 pm

For obvious reasons, you CANNOT do any work on the active ops partition. I would recommend using either the LiveCD and do your partition work within it, OR, use the GParted Live tool to do you partition editing. Going the GParted Live route is quicker to boot into the partition editor than going through the run-up of the Mint LiveCD. It also makes up an essential part of my overall toolkit to maintain things.

DataMan
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby No One on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:48 pm

I'll get Gparted on a LiveCD then. Thanks~
No One
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions