Want to partition Windows 8.1 OS for Linux Mint 17.2

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Want to partition Windows 8.1 OS for Linux Mint 17.2

Post by 19121950 »

I got the dvd to boot from so I could try Mint 17.2. I watched a tutorial on YouTube. The guy was doing a step-by-step demo on trying
out Mint from the dvd. As I wanted to do, he went to install Mint "for real". He mentioned that Mint takes 600 gb to install and said someone could partition a windows computer (mine is 8.1). He decided to install Mint on one of his other computers instead (How NICE for him). I looked at my system's partitions. All the info I saw was "Healthy" for each partition. No information as to what any particular partition is being used for. So if I shrink a partition, how do I know I'm not shrinking something vital? Even if I knew for sure I could shrink all partitions, I still wouldn't have 600 gb free space for Mint. The only place to get that much space is the C: partition. I stopped there.
In no way do I have enough technical knowledge to start messing around with my C: drive. Unlike the YouTube guy, I don't have an array of computers to go to if I screw up this one computer I have.
Yesterday, I heard about MintBox Mini and MintBox 2. Perhaps an alternative to risking having no computer? Maybe.
But what about my files? I have a rather large and precious music library and picture library on my lone computer. NTSF files, right? What happens to my music and pictures if I go to a Mintbox loaded with Mint?
Also, I have a mirror image of my computer on a 2 TB external drive, an NTSF external drive. I also have online backup service. (I love my music, okay?)
Right. I probably have asked that stupid question that nobody could possibly have except me. I don't care. I just need to know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crossroads

Re: Want to partition Windows 8.1 OS for Linux Mint 17.2

Post by crossroads »

check this thread out http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

you might consider using a bootable USB drive that is not configured to launch via UEFI. Rufus might remedy the problem by selecting "GPT partition for UEFI computers" when creating the USB. After you are back into the Mint installation, change the efi partition, as suggested by the tutorial above. If after re-installing Mint, you still have a problem try going to the grub command prompt, rather than the OS selection screen. Use the boot repair app for Ubuntu for this. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair Deselect "secure boot" when repairing grub using boot-repair.

Not sure this addresses your specific question. I've tried several dual boot methods, and finally settled on running windows 8.1 through VirtualBox on a host Linux Mint OS. Eliminates dual boot issues, and remarkably I'm able to use AutoCad, and MathLab in the VM. I'm not a gamer, nor do I download tons of music files, so any of the above suggestions may not be applicable to your current situation. Good luck!

Return to “Beginner Questions”