I loose every setting I make after I reboot.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I loose every setting I make after I reboot.

Postby Interverse on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:49 am

I've tested this multiple times, letting it reboot naturally without me pushing the I/O trigger, making a user account and password and it just going away after I reboot and nothing being there, nothing saves and I have no idea why. Can I get some help on this?
Interverse
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I loose every setting I make after I reboot.

Postby wildflower on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:44 am

By "nothing saved" do you mean is the your desktop environment?
Never Never Land Mix ONE

wildflower
Level 2
Level 2

Postby bobpur on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:19 am

I think he means that anything he does in one session is not there the next time he fires up his machine.

I have the same problem (I think). In my best Mint 6 install, I had to re-adjust the screen resolution every time I fired up the computer. Wallpaper would not be there, task bars would be missing, and icons would fail to show.

I'm trying a different mirror and burning the ISO on a different computer. My CD/DVD burner may be going "toes-up" on this one.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rolento on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:24 am

I also have settings that dont save, but it seems to only affect my screenlets. After a reboot my screenlets still show but everything is stacked in the upper left corner , all with default settings. Kinda annoying having to redo them all but I dont reboot/ shut down often these days anyway.
rolento
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wildflower on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:39 am

That's weird.

Are both of you using Mint 6? I heard Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid is a buggy release (and that is what Mint 6 based on) so maybe that's the problem? Can't really help you guys, sorry :(
Never Never Land Mix ONE

wildflower
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Udi on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:10 am

This may sound completely idiotic - but are you sure you're not running off the live cd?

Make sure your CD drive is empty and reboot your PC. That way you are sure that you are booting from the hard disk. Now, create a text file or some other file and save it. Is it not there after a new reboot? What settings, specifically, are you losing? Also, what hardware do you run on (laptop/desktop, what model and did mint recognize everything successfully) ?
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobpur on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm using (trying?) Mint 6. I've been trying to get Mint 6 going for a couple of days now and I'm about ready to scrap the whole project and re-install Mint 5 KDE CE. I won't go in to my troubles in another persons thread, but I've had problems with Ubuntu8.10, too, now that you mention it.

The issues in this thread are just some of what I've run into trying to get Mint 6 going and I'm no stranger to installing distros. I've been with Mint since Bea.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions