Umm...I now have 2 kernels, that cant be right....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Umm...I now have 2 kernels, that cant be right....

Postby 45MAC10 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Hey all,
This is my first time posting here, and my first month of linux system ownership. I really enjoy using it, when I can figure it out :D , and am looking forward to gettin rid of Vista on my other partition. Anyway, the point is, I have Mint 5 running on my toshiba satellite (with the AR5007eg lol) pretty well, apart from the 45% wifi reception sitting RIGHT next to my AP thanks to MadWifi. It has the 2.6.24-19-generic kernel. Everything was working fine, sound, ati x1250, until I had to push my luck. I was looking through the Adept package manager, and I just kind of randomly clicked upgrade on things i thought sounded good. I did not realize this could damage my computer. Looking back this was idiotic, but i thought at the time an upgrade would only UPGRADE the system :oops: . Well i shut it down when i was done, and when i turned it back on this morning, my grub menu had 2 extra choices for a 2.6.24-22-generic kernel in regular and recovery. I booted into the regular and just got a white screen with black and green bars. I then hit power and rebooted into 19, and saw in konqueror that there is now 2 of everything in the /boot dir 1 for 19 and 1 for 22. Is there a way to revert back to 2.6.24-19-generic only? I tried looking at a history of some kind in adept but it doesnt seem to have recorded what i downloaded. If anyone could help me without taking too much trouble I would REALLY appreciate it. I really dont want to reinstall Mint for the 6th time now.(trial and error, right?) oh and sorry bout the novel....
45MAC10
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Umm...I now have 2 kernels, that cant be right....

Postby 45MAC10 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:15 pm

...(bump...
45MAC10
Level 1
Level 1

Postby distoaddict on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:31 pm

You could edit /boot/grub/menu.1st so that the kernel that works would be the default.You would have to be Very careful.
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Postby 45MAC10 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:08 am

Hey, thanks for the reply addict. I actually already edited it out of the grub loader, but was wondering how or if I should remove the newer kernel and it's associated files. If keeping both won't cause any more problems I will probably just leave it since I have disk space to spare. Thanks for the tip though.
45MAC10
Level 1
Level 1

Postby distoaddict on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:50 am

i would leave them in.They're not doing any harm.
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Postby exploder on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:03 am

You can remove the kernel that does not work using Synaptic, just look carefully at the version numbers. You need to remove the linux-ubuntu-modules first, otherwise they will not remove properly. In your case make certain you remove the newer version. Once this is done you can remove the other elements of the newer kernel, mark them for complete removal and clean up any residual config files after you have finished.

Take your time and look carefully at the version numbers and you can have things back to the way they were without any problems.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby 45MAC10 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:34 am

Ok, that sounds doable. Thanks a lot for the help guys. I guess I'll need to be more careful in the future, eh? Thanks again
45MAC10
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JenkTJ27 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:07 pm

I have had this happen to me a couple times. My simple question is why does the Grub menu get updated with these new options and then all previous configuration as been lost if I choose a new option? One time it happened when I ran an update like the original poster. Another time it happened after I installed VirtualBox (the latest version from Sun, 2.1, and removed OSE).

Thank you.
JenkTJ27
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:16 pm

If Grub did not update the system could not boot. You need access to both kernel options until you know for certain that the new kernel is not going to give you problems. Grub working the way it does provides a safety net, in case things go wrong.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby exploder on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:18 pm

Server Error, double post again...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions