firefox not loading on 6

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

firefox not loading on 6

Postby nairb1 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:51 am

Hi and happy new year..
Have installed mint 6, and find firefox will not load, konqueror works ok, have removed and reinstalled firefox ,any ideas please :?:
thanks Bri
ps I have sorted prob Bri
nairb1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: firefox not loading on 6

Postby exploder on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:21 am

Open the Terminal, type "firefox" without the quotes and hit enter. Either Firefox will launch or the terminal will produce errors. Post back your results and we can go from there.

Edit: Also, did you install Konqueror before or after you discovered that Firefox would not launch? The reason I ask is because Konqueror brings in a lot of kde libs that might have affected Firefox.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby nairb1 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:15 am

Hi. Sorry I did not get back quicker.
firefox at terminal promp -- nothing happens, after 2 or 3 seconds back to prompt?
I am using Opera and it works fine, would prefer firefox. Loaded Konqueror when firefox did not work.
I can load firefox from sudo, but I am not yet skilled enough to be shure if its ok to do this.
Everything worked on 5.
I hope you can help.
Bri
nairb1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:43 am

I found this information in a search and like it's worth a try.

i would try deleting the hidden mozilla configuration files....first back up your favorites/bookmarks

next, open your home folder and in the toolbar, click "view"...then put a check next to "show hidden files"

find the .mozilla folder, right click on it and choose "move to trash"

try to open Firefox again and see if it works.

This looked like the most workable solution from all of the search results I found. Firefox will recreate the deleted file when it starts. Lets keep our fingers crossed on this one. :mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby nairb1 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:00 am

Hi, Will not let me delete , root only. -- went to root and deleted folder .
Firefox now works, O Happy Day!!
Many thanks for help
Bri
nairb1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby geekwhitenorth on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi
I had this exact same problem after a clean installation of Linux mint 6 this weekend.

Firefox would not run. When I looked at the hidden .mozilla directory it had a lock and an X emblem on it
and when queried it said root only. I could run it as a sudo user in terminal.

My solution was to add my user account by using the chown command (sudo chown <user> : .mozilla -L -R)
I also had the same issue with .adobe and .macromedia directories. My issue has gone now (everything works)

My questions are -Some files become root why does \ would this happen ?
GWN
geekwhitenorth
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions