Setting Up Broadcom

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Setting Up Broadcom

Postby No One on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm trying to get internet, but my old computer has a Broadcom B4legacy wireless driver. It can't activate it because I don't have internet... (until it's activated). From what I've read it seems somewhat an issue to set up Broadcom, but I also read there was a zip file, offline, installation. I think I tried one of the zip files, but I did it with Windows and Mint didn't recognize the CD. So I probably need to take down the zip file with InfraRecorder? Is there a zip file for the driver I have and,if so, where can I get it?
No One
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Setting Up Broadcom

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:39 am

Your post is somewhat confusing and I honestly don't know which zip files you talk about
But if you have the Windows driver you can use ndiswrapper (Windows Wireless tools) to use the Windows driver
More in the wifi wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Setting Up Broadcom

Postby No One on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:55 pm

I can try to make this a little clearer. I have a Broadcom driver and card. It's already there, I can find the hardware driver, it's just not active. When I tell it to activate it can't. It gets my password from me and then tries to download and install the drivers automatically... it's not online...

Linked from the Wiki you gave me there is this page, http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... om_bcm43xx
The first suggestion on there is an all in one tarball. I can try using the manual installation...?
No One
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions