how 2 change size of USB drive allocation to store docs?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

how 2 change size of USB drive allocation to store docs?

Postby cribology on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Hello, I have this week installed Mint on a 16gb USB flash drive. When installing I was asked to specify how much space to set aside for storing documents. I put in 2.5gb. After upgrades and installing wine + programs I now only have 600mb available. How can I increase the allocation size as my USB? I should still have 9 gb free yet Mint cannot save files to this free USB space.

edit - this option came from the usb-creator menu displayed in the pendrive linux guide

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/12/26 ... ll-via-cd/
cribology
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how 2 change size of USB drive allocation to store docs?

Postby DataMan on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 am

Two options come to mind:

1. Boot your pc to a CD Live Image of Mint and do your partition work on your usb drive from there.
2. Get a copy of GParted Live, burn it, boot to it and do you partition work on the usb drive.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby cribology on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks for your response.

I dont think its the partition. I opened the partition with g-parted and it shows that the partition Mint is on is over 14gb in size, but it seems that by using the pendrivelinux guide from the link in my previous post, that Mint is restricted to how much of this partition it can use. Thought there might be something I could do to overwrite it without having to re-install.
cribology
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DataMan on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:36 am

That's why I wanted you to mount the pen drive and see how much space you have allocated to mint. You may have a lot of "unallocated" space on the pen drive that could be claimed by your Mint ops.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions