Newbie question: gvfsd problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Newbie question: gvfsd problem

Postby cmbcne on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:11 pm

New install of Elyssa on laptop with 2 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD.
Click on "Computer" icon on desktop and get "Unable to mount location", and "Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-computer" (No such file or directory)"
Open Nautilus and click on Network and get "Couldn't display "network:///"." and "Error: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-network" (No such file or directory) Please select another viewer and try again."

I'm a newbie, so excuse me if I sound silly, but it sounds like gvfs is screwed up. further, I'm assuming from the"fs" that it's some sort of file system daemon. right?

OK. Nw how do I fix it?
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie question: gvfsd problem

Postby cmbcne on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:33 pm

Follow-up:
On a hunch, I went into Synaptic and searched for "gvfs" and found several items. Some were installed, but not all. so I installed "gvfs-backends" and "gvfs-bin", then rebooted.

Now the desktop icons for "Computer" and "Mikes Home" have both disappeared and I have no way to launch Nautilus from the menu.

I should have been patient and waited for an answer.
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Udi on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:29 am

From the menu, can you click on "Computer" or "Home Folder"? Do they open up?
From the command line, can you run 'nautilus' or 'nautilus --no-desktop'?
Try also upgrading to all the latest versions of the packages with 'sudo apt-get upgrade'.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmbcne on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:01 pm

nch of thingsThanks.
I got it working, but don't ask me how. I tried a bunch of things based on intuition and it suddenly worked,

This is only one of the "issues" with this install. I'll start a new thread about the audio one.
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions