Newbie question: gvfsd problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie question: gvfsd problem

Postby cmbcne on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:11 pm

New install of Elyssa on laptop with 2 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD.
Click on "Computer" icon on desktop and get "Unable to mount location", and "Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-computer" (No such file or directory)"
Open Nautilus and click on Network and get "Couldn't display "network:///"." and "Error: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-network" (No such file or directory) Please select another viewer and try again."

I'm a newbie, so excuse me if I sound silly, but it sounds like gvfs is screwed up. further, I'm assuming from the"fs" that it's some sort of file system daemon. right?

OK. Nw how do I fix it?
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie question: gvfsd problem

Postby cmbcne on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:33 pm

Follow-up:
On a hunch, I went into Synaptic and searched for "gvfs" and found several items. Some were installed, but not all. so I installed "gvfs-backends" and "gvfs-bin", then rebooted.

Now the desktop icons for "Computer" and "Mikes Home" have both disappeared and I have no way to launch Nautilus from the menu.

I should have been patient and waited for an answer.
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Udi on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:29 am

From the menu, can you click on "Computer" or "Home Folder"? Do they open up?
From the command line, can you run 'nautilus' or 'nautilus --no-desktop'?
Try also upgrading to all the latest versions of the packages with 'sudo apt-get upgrade'.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmbcne on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:01 pm

nch of thingsThanks.
I got it working, but don't ask me how. I tried a bunch of things based on intuition and it suddenly worked,

This is only one of the "issues" with this install. I'll start a new thread about the audio one.
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions