I lost my menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I lost my menu

Postby dsa-1 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:14 pm

I just got my Linux Mint all set up and I went to reboot the pc after a game crashed and I lost my menu options from the task bar. I can open up the menu from the task bar but when I look to the right side of the menu everthing could not load it says....any help on restoring this would be great.

Thank you
dsa-1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I lost my menu

Postby zine92 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:08 am

u mean the bar at the bottom right hand corner.. i had that error too it says some sort of error and i had to choose to delete or not.
I am a noob at both linux and programming... I dun wanna suck but i wanna learn linux..
zine92
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dsa-1 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:18 pm

What's going on is when I open up the menu from the task bar and the window opens up I have lost all my icons on the right side that link me to the different options and programs. So I can't launch very much....I did build a new profile and the icons are there but I would still like to use my original profoile. Is there a restore option or do I just need to start over?

Thanks
DSA
dsa-1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:51 pm

If I understand correctly, when you open MintMenu, all you see is the normal left-hand part of it, i.e., Places and System. If that is the case, do you see a tiny icon with a triangle+scissors? If you click on that it should being back the application part of the menu. If not you may have hidden this part too, try clicking on either the bold Places or System to see what I mean.

If thats not what you meant, then I don't know what you mean.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby dsa-1 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Thank you I will give that a try.
dsa-1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:49 pm

I neglected to mention, that icon with the scissors you should click on - it should be on it's own small panel on the left side of the MintMenu.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby alun_sundry on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Have you changed a theme at all (or might the crashed game have done)? I noticed when I was experimenting with themes sometimes those menu icons and list would disappear. You could change your theme to one of the Mint default themes, and see if your full menu comes back, or look in the Introduction to Linux Mint .pdf manual pages 54-57 for restoring the menu.
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions