Mint5-64: first impressions: and how to fix up KDE ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint5-64: first impressions: and how to fix up KDE ?

Postby Ric on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:37 pm

So a friend talked me into trying Mint, so ok, my current OSes are rusty and unstable, so now is a good time. :idea:
I started up the disc and cut some partitions. Mints installer worked well, finding /home on hda3 and the Windoze on hda1. after a seemingly normal install, time to boot it up. :)
It booted to the login screen fine, and a window offered to start in KDE. Odd... only Gnome is listed as an option. Not that it mattered, neither would start. :( KDE not installed, trying Gnome.
A window popped up to let me know that a daemon failed to start, then I received a blank screen with 2 help icons. No task bar ect.
The updater works, so I do that. Now... lets see if Gnome even installed.
R-click / terminal works, ¨sudo synaptic¨ ... synaptic start fine, shows gnome was not installed! I check the basic Gnome components, and it refuses to install! ( I forget the exact error message)
Serves me right for downloading and burning from a rusty unstable OS.
Fine. I was thinking I may like KDE for a change, so I check of a few boxes to install that. 493 packages later, I have a nice new KDE :D
Mint/KDE seems fast and stable, but now every time I boot up, a Gnome component asks me what screen resolution I want.
I also installed the Nvidia driver and the KDE-compiz components, but I cant seem to start compiz.
So 2 questions:
- Is is safe to uninstall all Gnome components, or will that break some dependencies for KDE?
- Do I need to do ¨sudo compiz-replace¨ , to start compiz in KDE?
Ric
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint5-64: first impressions: and how to fix up KDE ?

Postby exploder on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:47 pm

It sounds like you had a bad burn of the Live CD. Did you check the md5? Did you burn at the slowest possible speed? I am amazed that you were able to get a running system after the problems you described. I would start over because something had to have gone wrong when burning the disk. There is a KDE CE available if you prefer it to Gnome.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions