Security and Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Security and Mint

Postby vastpast on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 am

Hi

I currently use Windows XP Pro (SP3) and I am seriously considering trying out Mint. One of the most important things to me is security as I do a lot of internet banking.
One of my favourite security programmes is Keyscrambler by QFX. This programme is an anti keylogging programme which randomly scrambles your keystrokes so if you typed, for example: government, it might appear as d%vp*22z-e to a keylogger.
Well keyscrambler cannot be used with Linux, so are there any other keyscrambling programmes (preferably free) which are Linux friendly?

Also I currently use Avast Anti Virus; Panda Anti Root Kit; Lavasoft Spyware Blaster; Comodo Pro Firewall; Comodo BOClean and Spyware Terminator. Which compatible protection would I need to use with Mint to have the same level of protection.

THANKS
vastpast
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Security and Mint

Postby exploder on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:19 am

Also I currently use Avast Anti Virus; Panda Anti Root Kit; Lavasoft Spyware Blaster; Comodo Pro Firewall; Comodo BOClean and Spyware Terminator. Which compatible protection would I need to use with Mint to have the same level of protection.

Wow! Windows sure needs a lot of protection! You do not need any of that with Linux, it is secure right out of the box!

My wife does all of our online banking on Linux. We had a problem with identity theft on Windows. There is nothing extra loaded on the Linux machine for security, it is secure because of how it is built.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby vastpast on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:18 pm

So just to be clear unlike Windows (XP) Mint is safe as far as keylogging is concerned?
vastpast
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Linux n00b on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:48 am

The first issue is how would a keylog malware get into your machine.

As long as you follow the "standard" practice of Linux/Unix, malware would not find your machine.

Your major concern should be the transaction between your end and the bank site.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-- Albert Einstein
Linux n00b
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions