Changes are not saved when booting from USB Key

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Changes are not saved when booting from USB Key

Postby yvanmarl on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi all!

Everyone make mistake, mine was to stick with Windows for too long! :lol:

Last week, I tried Ubuntu. Everything was great!

Then, a workmate told me about Mint. I ripped off my USB Key, and I installed Mint using the Mint LiveCD.

When I installed Mint on my 2 Go USB Key, I told the USB Creator to leave a 1 Go persistent file to save my change.

Here is my problem: changes are not saved. Everytime I boot from my USB Key, the system is "resetted" (i.e.: my time setting, language support, wireless access code, etc. are to their default value). Even if I'm on a USB key, it's like if I was booting from a CD.

When I was running Ubuntu, I used the same key and the same size for the persistent file. I did not have any problem. Everytime I made changes, they were there the next time I booted.

What I am missing?

Thank you for your greatly appreciated help!

Martin 8)
yvanmarl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changes are not saved when booting from USB Key

Postby random_noise on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Martin,

Sorry I'm not answering this question. I too have the same issue. Every time I reboot (despite selecting 'persistant' mode) any changes I make are lost.

Hopefully by bumping this back to the top of the forum someone will have another look & will come up with an answer.

Did you build the Mint usb using the live CD? I built it using a file for windows as found here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... m-windows/

Cheers,

Dave
random_noise
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions