Partition recoverable?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Partition recoverable?

Postby Unstuck on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:11 pm

I was running Ubuntu 8.10 and thought it would be fun to install Mint. I have a partition for OSs and another for /home, and in a moment of stupidity and caffeine fueled hubris I erased /home during the Mint install. Is there a way to recover the lost files (about six years worth of music and photos!)?

Attached is a current screenshot from GParted if it is at all useful.

Edit: Apparently, I can't attach the photo.
Unstuck
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partition recoverable?

Postby DataMan on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:18 pm

You might be able to recover using the app Test Disk. I haven't had an occasion to use it yet, but I've seen it reported in various boards. It's available in the repositories.

Good Luck!

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Partition recoverable?

Postby Unstuck on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:19 pm

DataMan wrote:You might be able to recover using the app Test Disk. I haven't had an occasion to use it yet, but I've seen it reported in various boards. It's available in the repositories.

Good Luck!

DataMan

Nice little app. Unfortunately, it didn't find a hidden partition. :cry:
Unstuck
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions