Can I expect Mint to work like Ubuntu 8.10 + Mint features?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can I expect Mint to work like Ubuntu 8.10 + Mint features?

Postby indiworks on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Hello,

I currently have Ubuntu 8.10 installed (after switching from OS X last spring to PC hardware and Ubuntu 8.04). I'd like to give Mint a try, but also need a working and reliable (that's relative of course...) PC in a reasonable amount of time. So my questions are:

* can I expect Mint to install and work just like Ubuntu 8.10 does but with all the Mint specific features (codecs...), art work etc...? Or are there important differences (from a user's point of view) that I should be aware about that could break certain apps, hardware etc.?

* is Mint "compatible" with all the Ubuntu updates (specially security updates) that you can/should install? From what I read I understand that there is (also or instead?) a slightly different system where updates first get checked/approved by the Mint developers and it might take a while until an update gets recommended. So the question is can I access/choose to install the normal Ubuntu recommended updates instead if I want/have to (maybe because for whatever reason Mint might take longer to check all updates).

Thanks!
indiworks
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I expect Mint to work like Ubuntu 8.10 + Mint features?

Postby AK Dave on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Answers:
1. Yes, pretty much thats what you have with Mint. It takes Ubuntu and wraps in some Mint-specific programs, media codecs, and some other "restricted" services.

2. Yes. Mint Update works very well. Better than Ubuntu's stock update. Mint scores/rates updates available from Ubuntu based on how likely the update is to break a normal system. Thats a simplistic, but not entirely inaccurate, way of understanding the "rating" system. Ubuntu doesn't. But they're the same updates. By default, Mint won't show you the more dangerous updates. But you can change that. By default, neither Mint nor Ubuntu gives you immediate access to Ubuntu's Proposed or Backports line of updates. But you can change that too. Mint's rating system allows you to keep an install at a specified level of stability for an extended period of time, but you can override the defaults.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can I expect Mint to work like Ubuntu 8.10 + Mint features?

Postby indiworks on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:26 am

Thank you for the detailed answers...!

I think I'll give it try now, looks all very tempting...
indiworks
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions