Weird stuff going on with graphical login.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Weird stuff going on with graphical login.

Postby Aldrenean on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:18 am

I wasn't really at all sure where to post this, so I figured this would be a good enough place.

I just installed LM5, Fluxbox CE on a desktop I had lying around, since my laptop died. It went pretty smoothly, everything was working, although VC1-6 were at some weird resolution that made them go about 2/5 off the screen. Not a huge deal, if I needed to use them I could just login without seeing what I was typing, then clear the screen. However, I was later trying to figure out how to switch to a Dvorak keymap (still don't know about that one, loadkeys gives errors when in X, works fine in VCs,) and ran showkeys, which didn't do anything, but I had seen it mentioned on a semi-related forum post. It was running in an xterm window, I closed it, and checked something, can't remember what, in VC1. When I switched back to my graphical session, something really strange happened, menus popped up all over, the ciao window came up, and the computer went to runlevel 6 and rebooted. When it came back up, the graphical login window was suffering from the same problem as the VCs: way oversized, so that only the top-left 1/2 or so of the screen is visible. I can still login from it, though I can't see the text entry box, so it's not a crippling error by any means, just annoying. I would quite like to get it back to normal.

Also, I fixed the VCs/boot messages being in a strange resolution, I added vga=771 to the kernel line in menu.lst. However, I would like to run the framebuffer at 1280x1024, as that's what I'm running graphically, but when I try vga=794 (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers), it tells me that that's an invalid option. 800x600 is doable, but I would prefer a higher res.

EDIT: Moving this to a more specific subforum might not be a bad idea, mods.
vga=773 also works, it appears I can get no higher than 1024x768 though.
Aldrenean
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Weird stuff going on with graphical login.

Postby Husse on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:11 pm

I'm not quite sure if there is a remaining problem...
You could try vga=775 or 793
If you still have a problem please include details of your hardware - run lspci in a terminal (gnome) and post here
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions