Resolution problem on new build

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Resolution problem on new build

Postby Sonyuser on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:32 pm

Just finished a new build (AMD budget PC), installed Mint5, and everything seems to work but the display resolution options don't match my new monitor.

I have a new Samsung 19" LCD that wants to be at 1440x900 (I know because the display keeps popping up with that suggestion), but the resolution in Mint only allows 2 options 800x600 or 9xx x 640 (I can't remember the exact numbers). Nowhere near what I want. It is viewable but not optimum.

The graphics function is embedded in the motherboard (ASUS M2N68-AM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV Micro ATX AMD - bolded part is the vidio chipset) and uses an analog output (D sub) to the monitor (SAMSUNG 933BW High Glossy Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor)

Would Mint6 solve this? What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appriciated. Henry
Sonyuser
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Resolution problem on new build

Postby Fornhamfred on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi

Found this link in the Ubuntu forum which should sort your problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=524366
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Sonyuser on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:40 am

Ok, I followed your link and read the post, but still am lost.

The linked post talked about installing the lastest Nvidia drivers. How do I load those? My new monitor came with a CD. I assume this contains drivers for Windows OS. Should I load these in Mint?

thanks for your time.
Sonyuser
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Sorry

That post was very misleading. If you look in Software Manager, System Tools and install Envyng this will check your system and suggest and install the necessary driver for your video. Hopefully this will cure your problem.

Good Luck
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Sonyuser on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Yes, that did it. The display resolution is good.

To be clear: I installed the software package "Envyng", then ran that application.
It downloaded a number of things, one of which was an application for tuning the resolution (something called Nvidia).
Running that application tuned the display resolution just fine.

Thanks.
Sonyuser
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions