Bleachbit....Are there alternatives?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doubletwo
Level 3
Level 3

Bleachbit....Are there alternatives?

Post by doubletwo »

I dont want to use bleachbit....it seems it can be destructive, and as a newbie, Im not sure I know how to use/configure it, not to do damage. I see in the software manager, there are a few alternatives to Beachbit....has anyone used any of them?, and if so are they any good, are they safe?
I use the extention click & Clean on firefox, which cleans all cookies, cache, history etc, but its temp files, and general junk, I woulnd like to get rid off.
All suggestions are welcome
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Bleachbit....Are there alternatives?

Post by Pjotr »

Linux Mint doesn't get polluted much. Far less than Windows, for example. So it's not really necessary to clean it at all....

If you want to clean Linux Mint anyway, this is how to do it safely:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4
Last edited by Pjotr on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The best alternative: You and your common sense.

Bleachbit can be considered as malicious software, with a good chance, that you have to reinstall the system.

BTW:
doubletwo wrote:I use the extention click & Clean on firefox, which cleans all cookies, cache, history etc
Even this is not necessary, all can be done with Firefox alone (even automated, if you want). Open the privacy settings of FF, to find out.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

doubletwo wrote:Im not sure I know how to use/configure it, not to do damage.
Don't ever set it to wipe free space (as root) and cancel the task.
IMO, Use 'default' settings and you should be ok.
Only use in on your $HOME.

If you are using it to 'recover' some disk space, Bleachbit is a poor choice.
Have tested backups.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

In a Windows environment i'd been happily using CCleaner for over a decade with no ill effects. Most of the stuff that was a good idea to clean on those systems was browser related stuff, and those collect a lot of crud from usage.

So yeah i have been using Bleachbit as a like-for-like replacement, and going on +6months i've not had an issue with it. Having said that i did specifically set it up to mostly focus on my browsers and clean all their crud up, which is normally about 15mb or so per day (i scan every evening after i have finsihed using the PC), but after i have added some updates (via the Update Manager) i also have to use Bleachbit in admin mode to remove the temp files that process leaves behind.

I was a bit freaked out by that at first, but it's been a on going thing for months now with seemingly no ill effects, so at this kind of low level cleaning Bleachbit seems ok. I have been aware of the issues around it and using it to scrub clean everything, so i'm hoping this 'lite' approach to cleaning is both good for my security (as browsers are dirty little things that love to leave traces all over, even if you use their in-built crud-removing options) and keeps bloat to a minimum.

Ideally what i'd love is a Linux version of CCleaner (which sadly the author won't be doing) as that has proven a very safe and decent software, or the author of Beachbit to maybe make a 'safe' version of his tool, as there is quite enough feedback of how it is dangerous, and they could use that data to reduce the chances Bleachbit can mess up your system. Here's hoping :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Return to “Beginner Questions”