Mint and my computer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint and my computer

Postby Numbat on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi
Really love to have mint on my computer. I have it on a DVD (bootable KDE version). Problem is that my computer doesn't read DVD's.

Is there a way I can transfer the files to a CD (I have a Windows computer which can handle both DVD's and CD's)?

Now my understanding of the processes is minimal (not non-existent, just minimal). I think I understand what an ISO is. Just don't understand if it can be broken up and transferred in pieces (which it would have to be because DVD=1.2Gb and CD=0.7Gb).

Maybe someone knows and can tell me? :D
Numbat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint and my computer

Postby locutus on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Which computer are you talking about when you say you want to install it? If it's the same computer that you used to burn the DVD, it will read the DVD too.

An ISO file is just an "image" of what the installation files will look like; it's just easier to burn one ISO file instead of dozens of individual files that need to be in proper order. After burning, if you look at the finished disk (in Windows File Manager) you will see all those files, not just one file called mint.iso.

So again, if that computer burned the DVD, it will read it fine, too. If your DVD does have just one file, you will need to burn it again.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Numbat on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:37 am

They are two separate computers. The one I want to mount Linux on is an old Dell computer which I think has a P3 processor and about 375Mb memory. Has about 10Gb h/d. Not fancy but I have seen worse.

I did try Ubuntu on it but I had problems. First I couldn't get it to recognize the modem. Then I upgraded to v8.10. This seemed to have problems with the display. Didn't know enough to be able to find a better driver for it so now I want to try Mint.

What I expect to be able to do is copy all files on the DVD to a folder on the hard drive, then run the installer. Is this the best way? or is there an alternative?
Numbat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 pm

You may have problems installing that. The system requirements are 512 Mb RAM for the installation, but only 256 Mb to run it. Any chance you could swap drives to the newer computer just for the installation, then put it back into the Dell to run? This would also solve the DVD drive needed to install, if you could do this.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Numbat on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Many thanks for your help. I am now thinking along new lines. One thing I have done is order another DVD writer which although I won't end up installing in the Del comp. will enable me to install Mint on it. That will take about a week to arrive.

I may be back with further questions, later.

cheers.
Numbat
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions