Mint and my computer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint and my computer

Post by locutus »

Which computer are you talking about when you say you want to install it? If it's the same computer that you used to burn the DVD, it will read the DVD too.

An ISO file is just an "image" of what the installation files will look like; it's just easier to burn one ISO file instead of dozens of individual files that need to be in proper order. After burning, if you look at the finished disk (in Windows File Manager) you will see all those files, not just one file called mint.iso.

So again, if that computer burned the DVD, it will read it fine, too. If your DVD does have just one file, you will need to burn it again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint and my computer

Post by locutus »

You may have problems installing that. The system requirements are 512 Mb RAM for the installation, but only 256 Mb to run it. Any chance you could swap drives to the newer computer just for the installation, then put it back into the Dell to run? This would also solve the DVD drive needed to install, if you could do this.

Return to “Beginner Questions”