Active X / Netflix?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Active X / Netflix?

Postby hotdamn on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 pm

is there any way to get Netflix 'watch it now' working under Mint6 ?
I'm using firefox 3....tried the user agent switch, but netflix still complains there is no active X.

I understand that active x is a real liability to security, just wonder if there's anyway to get netflix's service working.

many thanks,
-dan
hotdamn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Active X / Netflix?

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Active X does not run on Linux, thank goodness!

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby hotdamn on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:08 pm

does this mean there is no way to get netflix working?
is there no work-around?
hotdamn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm

hotdamn,

Not on Linux directly, if it requires active X. You can, however, run a XP virtual machine in linux and use active X. I suggest VirtualBox. Search for "Fred VirtualBox" if you want to go this route.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby hotdamn on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 pm

would that require a windows installation into the VM, or is there some fake method to trick the system.

thanks so much for the fast replies, very much appreciated.
hotdamn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:52 pm

hotdamn,

You will have to load Windows into the virtual machine. So you will need a copy of Windows.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby kwisher on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 pm

hotdamn wrote:is there any way to get Netflix 'watch it now' working under Mint6 ?
I'm using firefox 3....tried the user agent switch, but netflix still complains there is no active X.

I understand that active x is a real liability to security, just wonder if there's anyway to get netflix's service working.

many thanks,
-dan

I posted to a previous post about this issue. I heard on a podcast that Netflix is working on a viewer/player for Linux. I will be happy when this becomes available so I can watch "on demand" movies on my Mint-MythTV system.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions