Active X / Netflix?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Active X / Netflix?

Postby hotdamn on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 pm

is there any way to get Netflix 'watch it now' working under Mint6 ?
I'm using firefox 3....tried the user agent switch, but netflix still complains there is no active X.

I understand that active x is a real liability to security, just wonder if there's anyway to get netflix's service working.

many thanks,
-dan
hotdamn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Active X / Netflix?

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Active X does not run on Linux, thank goodness!

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby hotdamn on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:08 pm

does this mean there is no way to get netflix working?
is there no work-around?
hotdamn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm

hotdamn,

Not on Linux directly, if it requires active X. You can, however, run a XP virtual machine in linux and use active X. I suggest VirtualBox. Search for "Fred VirtualBox" if you want to go this route.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby hotdamn on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 pm

would that require a windows installation into the VM, or is there some fake method to trick the system.

thanks so much for the fast replies, very much appreciated.
hotdamn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:52 pm

hotdamn,

You will have to load Windows into the virtual machine. So you will need a copy of Windows.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby kwisher on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 pm

hotdamn wrote:is there any way to get Netflix 'watch it now' working under Mint6 ?
I'm using firefox 3....tried the user agent switch, but netflix still complains there is no active X.

I understand that active x is a real liability to security, just wonder if there's anyway to get netflix's service working.

many thanks,
-dan

I posted to a previous post about this issue. I heard on a podcast that Netflix is working on a viewer/player for Linux. I will be happy when this becomes available so I can watch "on demand" movies on my Mint-MythTV system.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions