problem with executing crontabs - syncevolution

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

problem with executing crontabs - syncevolution

Postby nathanscrivener on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:07 pm

I have set up syncevolution to sync with Scheduleworld. I have placed the following into crontab:

*/10 * * * * syncevolution scheduleworld > /home/nathan/schedule.log

The problem is, the command 'syncevolution scheduleworld' runs fine when I type it in from the terminal, but when executed automatically the crontab log shows the following:

11:40:05 [ERROR] todo: not found: ''

The syncevolution log says:

"GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks
due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Not running within active session)"

I'm fairly new to linux and am finding this a bit over my head, but really want my data synced with my phone :-(

Please can somebody help?

p.s. I restarted cron after making my changes using 'sudo /etc/init.d/cron restart' and that didn't help
nathanscrivener
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: problem with executing crontabs - syncevolution

Postby Husse on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 am

I think this has to do with permissions, that's often the case when you can run it from the terminal but not from some application or the other way round
You write
the command 'syncevolution scheduleworld' runs fine when I type it in from the terminal

What exactly did you use in the terminal? Not just syncevolution scheduleworld I presume
It's necessary to precise :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions