Changing back to Windows 7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Naukatifisherman

Changing back to Windows 7

Post by Naukatifisherman »

I would like to change back to Windows 7 and then create a dual boot with my Linux.
Especially since I apparently cannot use my Realtek modem with Linux.
Charlie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Changing back to Windows 7

Post by Pierre »

then you will need both the Windows & the Linux installation disk(s).

do want to keep anything?

the easiest option is to erase the entire HDD,
and pre-partition the HDD in such a way that suits how you wish to use both O/Ss.

otherwise, you would need to create a partition, at the start of the HDD,
which is where the Windows system prefers to reside.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

A lot of Realtek hardware works fine with LInux. See, for example:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1578
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

If you tell us which Realtek modem you use, we might be able to help you making it work on Linux.

Edit: According to your earlier posts, you have a RTL8101E/RTL8102E modem, right?
This might help:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/470609/r ... -04-hp-g61
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2182609
Naukatifisherman

Here is my computors info:
inxi -Fxz
System: Host: charlie-Dell-System-Inspiron-N7110 Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: Dell product: Dell System Inspiron N7110
Mobo: Dell model: 0YH79Y version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A09 date: 11/18/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9968
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.2hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST9500325AS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 453G used: 22G (6%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.33GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: 55.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 172 Uptime: 19 min Memory: 604.4/5862.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
charlie@charlie-Dell-System-Inspiron-N7110 ~ $

You can see that I have a RTL8101E/RTL8102E I went t- the Reatek site and they said the there was no such animal, although I know better. I would prefer being able to download an upgraded driver as opposed to redoing my Linux, I prefer Linux to windows, But wouldn't know which driver or how to rep;ace the driver in Linux.
Thanks for any help.
Charlie
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Which internet access are you using? I see both Ethernet and wifi capability. Neither are working for you?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Naukatifisherman

I am able to tether my Samsung to my Linus. Although until about a month or so ago, I used my Wifi. It will not recognise my computer, while at the same time mi Wifi hotspot can be used by my wife with her computer. The same hold true for the printer Wifi connection. My wife can print using the Samsung Wifi hub with her computer but Linux cannot print from my computer.
Charlie
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Naukatifisherman wrote:I am able to tether my Samsung to my Linus. Although until about a month or so ago, I used my Wifi. It will not recognise my computer, while at the same time mi Wifi hotspot can be used by my wife with her computer. The same hold true for the printer Wifi connection. My wife can print using the Samsung Wifi hub with her computer but Linux cannot print from my computer.
Charlie
Those are more than one problem. Leave the printer out of it for now, that requires extra work, but AFTER you have connection to your home router. You have several things going on and I'm a bit confused on what you want to do. You have tethering. You asked about Ethernet. You then say you had wifi connection which no longer is working, but at least the router is if your wife can access it OK.

Which do you want to work on first? Ethernet? Wifi?

Since you had wifi, maybe you lost the encryption settings and need to set that up again. WEP or some WPA type, only you know what the router is using. You need to enter the SSID, the encryption method, any pass phrase or hexcode into the connection you set up for it in "Network Connections". Can you even see an nm-applet in the bottom right panel? If not, then furn the following in terminal and see if it appears.

Code: Select all

nm-applet
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Naukatifisherman

I would like to work on mu Wifi connection, as I feel that once it is able to connect wireless then the printer will work.
I do not know whether my connection is WEP or WPA. All I know it that the wifi is currently set up to connected to any nearby wireless signal. I can set up security but feel it is not needed as We live on an Island in Alaska with no nearby neighbours. I can also monitor any computer that connects to my router. My "router" is a hotspot set up on my Samsung smartphone. Connection is available for wireless or tethered "wired Ethernet" connection. If fact I cannot at this time connect to any other wireless network. In fact, the networking setting screen in Linux will not let me turn the wireless connection to the ON position. I was able to use the wireless until about a month ago. Now I can only use Ethernet connection.

I used the nm applet in Terminal and recieved the following message: nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon

Thank you for bearing with me in this issue.
Thanks
Charlie
Last edited by Naukatifisherman on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Spam alarm!

You should immediately remove your e-mail-address from the post; otherwise your address might get overflow with spam.

Giving your e-mail address does anyway not make sense:

1. The sense of a forum is to discuss problem publicly, so that also others can take advantage out of it.

2. If personal exchange is needed or wanted, the forum has a PM system for that.

3. If you (and the other user) still want to contact via e-mail, the other user can click on the mail-button below your user name (on the right site).
Naukatifisherman

Thanks for the heads up on emailing. Address deleted

Back to Wifi. I looks like my Wifi is controlled by: Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 01:00.0

I am trying to do an internet search for an updated driver, but am unsuccessful at this point
Charlie
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If fact I cannot at this time connect to any other wireless network. In fact, the networking setting screen in Linux will not let me turn the wireless connection to the ON position. I was able to use the wireless until about a month ago. Now I can only use Ethernet connection.

I used the nm applet in Terminal and recieved the following message: nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon
I suspect your wireless device is burnt out, unless you have a physical switch for it which you've turned off.
I was able to use the wireless until about a month ago. Now I can only use Ethernet connection.

Did you upgrade your system and then this happened, particularly upgraded the kernel?

I see three options.
1) load windows and confirm that it also can't use the wifi, probably showing a device failure in it's device manager.
2) Keep trying new drivers added as mods to the current kernel to see if that will rescue it, even though it worked before without that need.
3) Get a USB wifi dongle that works and use that

Checking temps in Fairbanks, I see freezing temps have arrived and winter is famous for static discharges to electrical equipment and can damage it, so consider that as a source of your current wifi problem too.

if option 3, I'd suggest two that work just fine at my house, one for short range the other longer range, and both are under $20. Both work right out of the package in Mint, plug and play.

Panda 300

or

Etek dual antenna

I keep Panda spares on hand myself.
PandaWifi2015.jpg
Naukatifisherman

As remember, I may have happened after I did some routine Linux updates, But it was probably several days later I noticed it. I only update 1 thru 3 levels. I donot remember what the updates prior to the event were. So it may not have been due to updates.
Does Linux create date points which can be used to reset the a computer back to a date?

I will check out the Panda Wireless and the Etek dual wireless. Are these modems I would install in my laptop? or is connection thru a USB?

We do not live near Fairbanks. We actually live in Naukati Bay, which is off the coast from Ketchikan, which is one of the most southern city in the panhandle of SE Alaska. Great fishing.

Charlie
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

The two devices I suggest are both USB.

If you only did 1 thru 3, which is a wise policy, then you didn't upgrade the kernel and maybe loose what driver was in an older kernel but not newer one.

In the Update Manager, under View, you can see History of Updates.

There's the Package Manager (Synaptic) which under File has a Markings section which can function similar to a Recovery Mode if wanted. I've never used it myself. If you find in history an update you feel is a problem, then in the package manager you can uninstall/remove it. In the left side choose "Status" in lower part corner and then above that on "Installed" so you only see those programs already installed. You can also put the name of the program or package into the search box, find it, then can choose to remove it. Package Manager has a good History section, just under File heading.

I'm curious. How do you connect from rural Alaska to internet? Using a satellite service?
Looks like an amazing place to live and seems everyone is crammed along the coast of that Tsongass Hwy, with all that inland area looking uninhabited. At least you have an airport nearby. Expensive living there?
I don't think I could take that much cold that long, snow still on hilltops during July!
Naukatifisherman

I thank you for your help/ At this point I have decided that I will wait for a couple of weeks as we are going to Seattle. My Son in Law has suggested that the wireless card is probably toast and needs replaced. I will check out that angle.

As for Alaska, we live on an island which is a 3 hour ride via ferry West of Ketchikan. There is only about 120 people in our community. Alaska has no State taxes, we have no taxes where we live, including no property taxes. A great place to live, We have a large garden in the summer, and lots of different wild berries to ea. This is not to mention the great hunting and fishing in lakes, streams and the ocean. Our weather is mild, we have only has a few frosts here this year and snow does not arrive until usually in December, But is lasts only several weeks and the warms up and rains. This cycle is repeated several times over the winter, with an early spring. We are snowbirds and travel south to Southern Calif. and then into the Mexican Baja for several months. So we are gone till spring.

God Bless, and thanks again for the help I may have some more Linux questions as I check my wifi &/or re install my Windows and Linux.
Charlie
Naukatifisherman

Re: Changing back to Windows 7/ Dell Cumputer and F2 Functi

After talking to my son-in-law, regarding my problem with my wifi, which started my venture to change back to Windows. We generated a very simple solution to the lack of wifi. My the is a Dell. On the Uppermost function key bar;;the key F-2 when pressed with the Fn Key will turn the wifi on or off, Apparently at some time in my typing I had hit those keys and shut off my wifi. There is no light or other indication of whether my email is on or off. Apparently after is it turned off, it cannot be turned could not turn back on the from the Network setting page. This led me to believe that there was a problem with wifi, not with a mistake keying on the keyboard
In my short time in Linux, I have seen other similar issues with Wifi with a Dell Computer. I hope that this posting will help others.
Charlie
n
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

glad for ya!

Return to “Beginner Questions”