32 bits apps on the new x64 Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

32 bits apps on the new x64 Mint

Postby Briester on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a new user (or soon to be in a few hours) of Mint after being so used to Ubuntu.
My question is a bit simple but I was wondering if there are any issues running or compiling 32 bit apps on the new x64 edition of Mint?

I know in windows you can and it runs OK but I've never used the a 64 bit version of Linux before.

For the record I have an AMD Dual Core (4000 I think) and 2 gb RAM.

Thanks and I look forward. This version and the people here seem quite nice.

Chris
Briester
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 32 bits apps on the new x64 Mint

Postby Caraibes on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:34 am

You shall find out that most apps have a 64bit version in Linux... There is now a native 64bit Flash, as of Java you can use OpenJDK...

My only concern is Skype, as it remains the only popular app that is 32bit only, but you can easily install it in Mint64, as it is available in the repos, and the tweaks are performed automatically...
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 32 bits apps-x64 now boot woes :(

Postby Briester on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks for the reply and information Caraibas.

I admit last night I installed the 32 bit version first and everything seemed to be working ok. Then it asked me to install an Nvidea proprietary driver (which I did) for my EVGA video card. It worked ok and then I reconnected my hard drive that's running Vista.

Typically I hit F12 and choose which drive to boot from (so I don't have to deal with overwriting the MBR for an install) and Vista booted fine. When I restarted and chose the Mint drive. It didn't start as normal and gave some kind of failure (referring to Ubuntu...init.rd maybe?) and said it failed to load this and that and finally ended up at a command line which let me see the partitions but nothing else.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there anything to do besides reinstall completely? :(

Thanks,
Chris
Briester
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions