Right Click Problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Right Click Problem

Postby Ferns on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:57 am

I'm encountering a right click problem and I'm not sure who the culprit is, Mint, Firefox or my mouse. Normally, when you right click on a link to open in a new tab, or on a video link to Save Link As, etc, you get a pop up menu with all the options. Most of the time this works just fine, but sometimes, instead of the menu appearing, one of the options on it, apparently at random, will occur instead. For example, I want to download a video clip by using Save Link As, but when I right click, the bookmark dialog appears, or it attempts to open the clip in a new window, or a new tab. I have the Remove It Permanently extension installed and sometimes that's what happens.

I have a dual boot with XP and so far I haven't experienced this problem there, although I don't use that nearly as much, and then it's more to play a couple of games I have that Wine doesn't like. I have Felicia and FF 3.0.5 and my mouse is a cheap crappy HP corded job (soon to be replaced with a decent wireless job) Anyways, can anyone suggest anything?

ps, I went to spell check this post and it happened again, 3 times I right clicked on the word Firefox to save it to the dictionary, and 3 times I got an Element Properties box appearing instead.
Ferns
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Right Click Problem

Postby Husse on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:02 am

Does the mouse have a scroll wheel or is it so old that it does not?
This is what I expect to see if you mistakenly click both the scroll wheel and right click at the same time
and it is consistent with hardware failure - which does not necessarily have to appear in XP
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ferns on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Husse, it may well be as you say, a hardware problem. The mouse does have a scroll wheel but I'm pretty sure I haven't accidentally pressed that and the right button knowingly. They did a mass hardware upgrade at work and the same day my wireless mouse died of overuse, I saw a pile of the ones they were taking out of service laying in a pile by the door. I asked for one and have been using it without problems for over a year but it may be that the mechanism is just worn out (although it never feels that way in use). I am going to buy a new wireless one along with a keyboard soon enough, they were just further down the list of rolling upgrades I've been doing. I will suffer it for one more month though cause I'm just about to buy myself an Acer Aspire netbook, and of course, I'll be installing Mint on it.
Ferns
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Something similar was posted in another thread that I think may be the problem. Could be wrong though.
Do you by chance have Compiz running? I noticed that when I have it running, which is all the time; that if I right-click and I am not careful, I will accidentally hit something that I wasn't trying to.

Maybe try disabling your Compiz if it is enabled, and try to right-click again and see if the problem persists.

If that isn't the problem, then I am sure someone else here may have a solution for you.

Good luck.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby robins80 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:23 pm

I have the same problem. It happens when I use my scroll wheel mouse and it happens when I use the touchpad on my laptop. How does one go about disabling Compiz so I can see if that's the culprit. I also sent e-mail to Mozilla support about this, but haven't heard back.
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dlkreations on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Right-click anywhere on your desktop, and choose Change Desktop Background, then choose the Visual Effects tab, and lastly, click the None radio button. This will disable the Compiz effects. Then just try right clicking in Firefox afterwards and see if the problem persists.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby robins80 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:50 am

dlkreations wrote:Right-click anywhere on your desktop, and choose Change Desktop Background, then choose the Visual Effects tab, and lastly, click the None radio button. This will disable the Compiz effects. Then just try right clicking in Firefox afterwards and see if the problem persists.

I did that and it seemed to work until this morning.
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ferns on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:57 am

I decided to skip the netbook till next month and bought the Logitech Wave cordless desktop (excellent by the way), I've also been running with Compiz disabled for the last few days, but unfortunately the problem still persists and I'm not sure what to try next.
Ferns
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:18 am

Ferns,

My first guess would be a hardware issue. If it isn't that I would suspect the mouse sensitivity is set too high. I don't know which version of Mint you are using but look in the desk top set-up menu and you should find a place to set the mouse sensitivity. Reduce it and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Since I don't know exactly where it is I am sure someone else will chime in and clarify that point for you. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby exploder on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:31 am

Control Center, Hardware section, Mouse, the preferences you want are in the first tab.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:41 am

exploder,

Thank you sir. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby robins80 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:37 pm

exploder wrote:Control Center, Hardware section, Mouse, the preferences you want are in the first tab.

I lowered the mouse sensitivity and I am still getting the right click problem.
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ferns on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Like Robins80 I just tried that at various settings but no joy. I'm running Felicia by the way, all fully updated.
Ferns
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Sorry, but those were my best guesses.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Ferns on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:28 am

I realise this is dragging an old post back up, but I thought an update might be useful. Due to another problem entirely, which I couldn't correct even with advice from other members, I just finished backing up all my data, deleting my Linux partition, recreating it and reinstalling Felicia then doing all the updates. I also left Compiz turned off, and, I have a brand new mouse and keyboard, and with this problem in mind, one of the first things I did after the installation was done, was turned the mouse sensitivity way down, but the right click problem continues. I'm not qualified to say maybe it's due to a bug in either Firefox or Mint itself but I am beginning to wonder. I have 19 extensions installed so over the next few days, I'm going to disable each one in turn for a while, see if maybe one of them is causing this.
Ferns
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:52 am

I'm going to disable each one in turn for a while, see if maybe one of them is causing this.

That is a lot of extensions! I think you are on the right track to getting this resolved.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions