Firefox question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Firefox question

Post by lexon »

I am a new Mint 6 user coming over from Ubuntu 8.04. When I click on Bookmarks a little pop up window opens and says "Edit Bookmarks". Without moving the mouse, If I click on Bookmarks again, then my bookmarks window opens. I have never had this happen with Firefox in the past. Anyone know how to fix this issue? I do not need the "Edit" option.
Thanks.

Lexon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox question

Post by Eggnog »

I, too, am unable to replicate it using Firefox 3.0.5. I've even clicked all the Bookmarks menu items. I don't see that pop up box.
garda

Post by garda »

I prefer using the Bookmark tool bar button from the Personal Menu add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3895

This is not quite the answer you expected, I know. But just try the add-on, you will love it. :)

Edit:
Forgot to paste the URL. It is there now.
Last edited by garda on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

You know I've had that problem before a while back on ubuntu, but then it fixed itself somehow. i think it's just a fluke that just happens sometimes.
garda

Post by garda »

But you still have not answered the questions asked by hyperdrive:

What version of Firefox are you using?
Have you applied any Level 1 & 2 updates lately?

Try applying Level 1 & 2 updates in order to get Firefox 3.0.5, along with several other important fixes, then tell us how it turns out.

Just to emphasize what the other two posters have said, I can not reproduce the bug mentioned in your original post with Firefox 3.0.5.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

Known bug in the trunk. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... &id=406646

for future reference, http://forums.mozillazine.org is a great forum for all your Firefox woes. :)
lexon

Post by lexon »

I am using Mint 6 as I said in my first post. I am using Firefox 3.0.3 that comes with it for those who are not familiar

The Bookmarks I am using came from my Ubuntu 8,.04 which was using the same Firefox 3.0.3 version. Using Firefox for nearly five years, I have never seen anything like this.

I have Firefox set up the same as in Ubuntu.

It seems to happen ithe first time I click on Bookmarks. If I have been moving between different sites and do not click on Bookmarks for a while and then decide to go to a bookmark in my list, the Edit Window opens again.

Lexon
lexon

Post by lexon »

I had just come into Mint 6 and could not get any udates so I was using what came with Mint 6. Firefox 3.0.3.

Just got updates to work and now Firefox 3.0.5.

Where is the Create a profile thingy? All I did was to start using Firefox and go into Edit/Preferences and adjust some things to suit me.

When I open Firefox the first time and click bookmarks, I get Edit This Bookmark.

I also see that if I do not click on Bookmarks for a while.

Here are my Bookmarks. They have been like that for some time and no issues with Linspire/Freespire/Ubuntu. Mostly folders.

Sometimes this happens with a site that is not in my bookmarks, say I stopped on some site and did not use the PC for fifteen or twenty minutes and then click on Bookmarks.

lexon
lexon

Post by lexon »

I tried the deb thing and hear is what I got.

I have done the deb thing in Ubuntu with no issues so I thought that would work here as Mint 6 seems to be very similar to Ubuntu 8.04.

Lexon
lexon

Post by lexon »

Thanks. I have never heard of "too may bookmarks". I did remove and install the bookmarks and no joy.

I did remove about half and no more Edit option which is not an acceptable solution.

I slipped in the Ubuntu 8.04 drive that has Firefox 3.0.5 and no Edit. I have the identical bookmark list in Ubuntu.

I figure it is a bug when using Firefox with Mint 6.

I see like this stuff with linux once in a while.

Linux still has a Long way to go to be acceptable for common user use.

Never mind, I can live with it.

Rich
garda

Post by garda »

You could have saved countless hours trying to sort out this bug if you had given the Personal Menu add-on a whirl. To give you an idea of you will get from said add-on, I have provided you with a couple of screenshots (click on the link under each image to get a larger version):

Click for larger image
Click for larger image

The profile manager can be summoned by executing Firefox with a -ProfileManager switch. To do that:
1. Close all Firefox windows (this is a must)
2. Pop-up the Run Application dialog (ALT+F2).
3. Enter this command into the box (it is case-sensitive):

Code: Select all

firefox -ProfileManager
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

lexon wrote:
I figure it is a bug when using Firefox with Mint 6.

I see like this stuff with linux once in a while.

Linux still has a Long way to go to be acceptable for common user use.

Never mind, I can live with it.

Rich
Being a reg at http://forums.mozillazine.org, you should see the bugs windows has while trying to use FF. Windows is alot more buggier than Linux.

Return to “Beginner Questions”