Application questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Application questions

Post by lexon »

I am a new Mint 6 user coming over from Ubuntu 8.04. I am not a techie type so I mostly go with the defaults.
I would like to get Kooka for my scanners but cannot find it. I tried the Package Manager and Software manager.

The scanner application that comes with Mint is far to simple and locks up at times. A couple times it could not find my Canon Lide 20 scanner so I gave up on this application.

XSane is far more than I need. In fact the first time I tried it, the image was a small part of the total image I was trying to scan.

Kooka has worked very well for me for five years. I put something in the scanner and do a preview, I see the complete picture. I can then adjust for the final scan. Simple.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to get Image Viewer like I have used in Ubuntu. Works great when I have a bunch of photos to view in a slide show. Simple application.

You may have noticed that I like the KISS principle. I am not one who likes breaking and fixing the OS.
Thanks.

Lexon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: Application questions

Post by garda »

Kooka is available in the repositories. I am not certain how you searched for it in Synaptic, but I see it here (using the CLI).
Kooka.png
As for the Image Viewer, Mint and Ubuntu use the same default Image Viewer, which is Eye of Gnome. So I am not sure which image viewer that you refer to. I just assume it is gThumb that you refer to, which can easily be installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gthumb
lexon

Post by lexon »

Thanks for the reply.

Kooka is available in the repositories. I am not certain how you searched for it in Synaptic, but I see it here (using the CLI).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I searched using Kooka. All that comes up is kipi-plugins. I have no idea what (using CLI) means.

How about telling me "which" repository since you saw it. Right now, the only two I am aware of are Software Manager and Package Manager.

I found I have an image viewer by right clicking on the photo. Image viewer is at the top of the list. Works just fine.

Lexon
lexon

Post by lexon »

hyperdrive wrote:Welcome to Mint! :D

From what I can tell, the latest .deb package for kooka is for 8.04 (hardy) and the hardy backports... If you're feeling adventurous, you can give it a shot here: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 1_i386.deb

The option that would probably be safer, and maybe a tad more difficult would be to get the latest source package, compile and install it. You can find that direct from the kooka developer website here: http://kooka.kde.org/download/

Hope that helps.
Thanks, the first link or second link? I have used deb thingies before so I figure the first link? Just want to be sure.

Don't even suggest the compiling thingie. Not into that stuff. I am only a user. Thanks again.

lexon
lexon

Post by lexon »

hyperdrive wrote:Welcome to Mint! :D

From what I can tell, the latest .deb package for kooka is for 8.04 (hardy) and the hardy backports... If you're feeling adventurous, you can give it a shot here: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 1_i386.deb

The option that would probably be safer, and maybe a tad more difficult would be to get the latest source package, compile and install it. You can find that direct from the kooka developer website here: http://kooka.kde.org/download/

Hope that helps.
Ok, the first one did not work. Here is what I got.

The second has something about tar which I have no knowledge of. I do not do stuff like that. Yes, I know, that is Linux stuff I do not get into.
The few times I have used deb for installations reminds me of the old exe files I use to use in Windows and no, I am not looking for a exe file. I am just using that as an example.

If Mint does not allow Kooka then I will just live with it. I did search the archives and see some use Kooka but no explanation of how they got the application.

Lexon
lexon

Re: Application questions Solved

Post by lexon »

Thanks, that works.

lexon

Return to “Beginner Questions”