Firefox uses a ton of RAM/Memory

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Firefox uses a ton of RAM/Memory

Postby kasperbs on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:24 am

Hi I seem to be having problems with Firefox, it takes up way more memory than I would expect it to.
It's not always like this but it seems like it won't drop the memory once it has been used for it's purpose. What I mean is that I noticed this when I watched a flash video over at lightcrafts.com, it took up quite a bit of memory, processing power, bandwidth etc. Quite normal I thought if you watch a large video, but after closing the tab, Firefox wouldn't let go of the memory and still take up more than 2GiB.

Another problem that occured 10 minutes ago or so, was that Firefox would case the system to lag heavily, and revert to a appearance style that looks like Xubuntu or any other lightweight desktop environment. I had to so ctr-alt-backspace to get it back to normal.

I should say I run Linux Mint 64 Bit RC1

EDIT: It seems to only be a problem on some sites: could some please try and see if they can replicate the problem watching some of the videos on this site?
http://www.lightcrafts.com/learning/index.html
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox uses a ton of RAM/Memory

Postby garda on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 am

Firefox does consume more memory compared to other web browsers such as Opera. However, it never consumes more than 250-something MB on any of my systems, be it the Windows or Linux version. And that is after hours of heavy use.

General troubleshooting method would be to disable all Firefox extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions), use the default skin (Tools > Add-ons > Themes) then see how much it takes up your RAM with such basic setup. If it turns out that it takes far less memory than before, you can tell for sure that the memory leak is caused by one of the add-ons or the skin you use.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kindofabuzz on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:57 pm

I recommend visiting http://forums.mozillazine.org which is the Firefox forums. tons of help there and a great community to solve your problems. your best be would to be try a new profile, in terminal type, firefox -P and that will bring up the Firefox profile manager. Create a new one and see if your problem still exists. Of course none of your tweaks and addons will be in the new profile but visit those forums to get help on transferring settings and stuff.
kindofabuzz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kasperbs on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks for your replies, and thanks for the suggestion on trying out the mozilla forums.
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kasperbs on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:00 pm

I figured out what it was. It was Google Toolbar 5 Beta, so I have replaced the main features with bookmarklets. I'm going to miss the autofill though, hopefully this will change when an update is released.
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alun_sundry on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Do you know about Swiftfox? An adaptation of Firefox with different versions for different - even quite old - processors. I've just started using it to beef up a 1.3 ghz/ 512 mb machine and am pleased with the difference. The download is a deb file so it's no bother at all and all Firefox settings incl Bookmarks are automatically carried into it.
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kasperbs on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:43 pm

I really shouldn't be needing that. iIm on a quad core 2.5 Ghz. and 4GB RAM. But thanks for the tip
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions