Old Toshiba Laptop - spec me an install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Old Toshiba Laptop - spec me an install

Postby caermead on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:13 am

Please can you advise me on a Mint install for a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600; 128 MB RAM, 10 GB HD.

This currently runs Windows 98 (refuses upgrade due to dll issues). I wish to retain this as a partition and will occupy about 5.5gb of the disk.

I have read a number of reports of unsuccessfull install attempts of recent Linux distributions on this laptop, but that older ones work fine. I have also had two failures with Xubuntu 8.1 and DSL so far this month. I have read of successful installs of Mint 4.0 Daryna on this Tosh and so I wish to use that as my starting point.

Desktop Software requirements are not great: browser, openOffice, filezilla, quanta plus, wireless internet connection setup and possibly Gimp (I don’t even want a mail client).

Please can someone recommend me a workable partition table for this device.
caermead
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Old Toshiba Laptop - spec me an install

Postby Husse on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:32 am

No presently released Mint can be installed
However the upcoming Fluxbox (will probably be released as RC within the next fortnight) could just about be installed
Once installed it can probably run OK
This is more or less a case for DSL or Knoppix
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rivenought on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 am

Adding to what Husse suggested, you may also wish to research TinyMe and antiX. There are several interesting choices, so have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ChuckMcB on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Just to add to the others (and getting dangerously far away from Mint) Puppy Linux is my distro of choice for the cr@ptop I use in the kitchen for steaming media/quick browsing. Perhaps no faster than DSL but it has better hardware compatibility along with better IMHO GUI tools for wireless networking etc.
ChuckMcB
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caermead on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks for the advice. I installed TinyMe as suggested and now have a working system (except for wireless networking) and I am suprised at how quick it runs. It's a shame that I haven't got Mint though as it looks such a cool distro.

BTW - the big problem with the Toshiba is the Cyberblade video chipset - this is what stumped both DSL and Xubuntu and was also a chore to solve with TinyMe. As I wrote previously, older versions of Mint have apparently combatted the Cyberblade issue without problems, hence my interest here.

Good luck everyone and thanks once again
caermead
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions