Virtualization Issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Virtualization Issue

Post by altair4 »

(1) If you want to run a new version of Mint on top of windows then you can use VirtualBox. You will have to install Mint all over again, this time in a virtual machine.
EDIT: I just found out xBuntu users also have Wubi. This can be used also to run Linux within Windows but you still have to install Mint all over again.

(2) If you want to log into windows and somehow run your already installed Mint OS that exists on another partition of your actual physical machine then I know of no way to accomplish that.

Do you want (1) or (2)?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
vrk1219

Post by vrk1219 »

altair4 wrote:(1) If you want to run a new version of Mint on top of windows then you can use VirtualBox. You will have to install Mint all over again, this time in a virtual machine.
EDIT: I just found out xBuntu users also have Wubi. This can be used also to run Linux within Windows but you still have to install Mint all over again.

(2) If you want to log into windows and somehow run your already installed Mint OS that exists on another partition of your actual physical machine then I know of no way to accomplish that.

Do you want (1) or (2)?
HI altair4,
Actually I'm looking for the option (2)... :cry: :roll: :(
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

After thinking about this for a while I decided to do something I never do. I read the VirtualBox Manual :oops: . It appears that (2) is possible but is way beyond my pay grade :) . It's called “raw hard disk access”.

It has the following warning:
Warning: Raw hard disk access is for expert users only. Incorrect use or use
of an outdated configuration can lead to total loss of data on the physical
disk. Most importantly, do not attempt to boot the partition with the currently
running host operating system in a guest. This will lead to severe data
corruption.
I would download a copy of the user manual at http://www.virtualbox.org

Also here is a Howto of accessing WinXP from Linux just to give you an idea of what's involved. Needless to say I have no personal experience in doing this.
EDIT: Forgot the link: http://mesbalivernes.blogspot.com/2008/ ... sting.html
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fred

Post by Fred »

vrk1219,

When you are working with computers, and Linux in particular, what is possible and what is practical can be a long way apart. Even if you succeed, which is a very big if, in doing what you are attempting you will have an unstable, trouble prone kludge.

If you are willing to put this amount of time and effort into your system I would suggest that your time would be better spent consolidating and weeding through your data, off loading most or all of it onto some external storage, and reconstructing your system with proper Linux partitions and running a fresh install of Windows in a virtual machine. Currently most of your system runs on fat32 partitions and you are so storage bound that you are currently on the brink of disaster.

I am sure this is not the advice you want to hear but it is true non-the-less.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”