microsoft websites

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

microsoft websites

Postby slacker99 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 am

I recently installed LinuxMint and strangely today, I can't seem to get to any of the "microsoft" websites. Hotmail, MSDN, and even http://www.microsoft.com. I can get to other websites without a problem. From my other PCs (running XP/Vista) I can get to hotmail and MSDN sites from my other PCs/Laptops just fine.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
slacker99
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: microsft websites

Postby stabby on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:04 pm

That's a pun or actual question? :D
In case you really can't open the sites you may try checking what domains you have blocked in mintNanny.
stabby
Level 1
Level 1

Re: microsft websites

Postby slacker99 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 pm

stabby wrote:That's a pun or actual question? :D
In case you really can't open the sites you may try checking what domains you have blocked in mintNanny.

I understand the irony of asking about microsoft websites here but it is an actual question. I don't have anything setup in mintNanny. I was just wondering if someone has an explanation for this behavior.

I was trying to check my old Hotmail account and looking up something on SQL Server for work related question and noticed that it won't open the pages. I open the same pages on my other XP/Vista machines, and they work fine.
slacker99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: microsoft websites

Postby DataMan on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:44 pm

They've got some stuff running on at least part of their site so you cannot access parts w/o the venerable IE as the browser. I know from past experience that this applies in the download area (as in can't download stuff from MS using FF). I don't know how wide-spread this is since I don't frequent MS much anymore :D .

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby slacker99 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:01 pm

The problem seems to be with my LinuxMint installation (I did fresh install couple of days ago - first time trying out LinuxMint. I've used other Linux flavors before and did not encounter this kind of problem). I fired up my old PIII running xubuntu and I don't have any problems getting to these sites.
slacker99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sasori on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:11 pm

I installed mint 2 hours ago. I do not experience this.
sasori
Level 1
Level 1

Postby slacker99 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:34 pm

sasori wrote:I installed mint 2 hours ago. I do not experience this.

Yep. I figured it might be an isolated incident. I will try reinstall and see what happens. Otherwise, I will use a different distro on this PC.
slacker99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby slacker99 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:54 pm

I reinstalled LinuxMint then I was able to hit those websites. I ran all the package updates, the websites still worked. After I activated the ATI/AMD FGLRX driver for the graphics card on this computer, it stops working. It's still not working after I deactivated the driver.
slacker99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby slacker99 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, I'm now using Ubuntu without any problems. Perhaps when another PC frees up I will try Linux Mint again. Very strange issue...
slacker99
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions