Very odd sound problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Very odd sound problem

Postby enginehouse on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Having bitten the bug I have finally parted company with my last copy of Ms windows and installed Mint-6 [full version]. Beautiful piece of kit that does everything that I need to do on the laptop right out of the box. However it has one fault, the sound is dreadful. It is definitely sounding like the mythical strangled cat. Sounds delayed slurred and is unusable. I am running a Toshiba Satellite that had no problem whatsoever running sound from its previous incarnation running Ubuntu Dapper or indeed has no problem running from Kubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" which I have just run in "live CD" mode to test the machine sound system.

I have had a little meddle with the various settings via the sound and video links within the installed MInt menu with no success and have returned them to their original settings. Here however is the interesting bit! Thinking that I had maybe screwed up the download and install, I ran the LX mag copy of Mint-6 as a live CD and have exactly the same problem with the professionally produced copy. Any and all assistance/suggestions will be very welcome.

Incidentally Mint picked up the home network without any intervention, the first Linux distro to do so among the five that I have tried.

Cheers.

Roy
enginehouse
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Very odd sound problem

Postby Husse on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Sound and wifi are two main areas of concern for Linux. I have seen some reports of "bad sound" in Felicia, but I have fine sound myself
I think it's hardware dependant but not only
Run lspci in a terminal and post here (right click to copy)
Is it from all applications or just some?
Check settings for sound in the apps you use
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby enginehouse on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:52 pm

Thank you for your response to my post.

Problem is now sorted. All that was required was for the correct selection[s] to be made under [Control Centre - Sound] and the machine rebooted.

Unfortunately the Mint menu item [Applications/sound & video], produces no output at all. A "dead menu item. However using the menu item [Control Centre/sound] brings up the sound selection menu which I firmly believe is also broken. The "test" button is useless, either producing no "test" sound at all or locking up the menu system completely.

Simple solution was, as you so rightly pointed out, was to check the sound card info, make the correct selection based on sound card capabilities and then reboot the machine. Once done the comp boots up and sound fires on all cylinders - plays CDs DVDs and most forms of compressed media beautifully. The only problem that I have been able to find with Felicia so far is the Mint sound and video menu problem. However as I downloaded the image and burnt the CD myself this light even be a case of a bad burn.

Cheers.

Roy.
enginehouse
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:30 am

Unfortunately the Mint menu item [Applications/sound & video], produces no output at all. A "dead menu item. However using the menu item [Control Centre/sound] brings up the sound selection menu which I firmly believe is also broken. The "test" button is useless, either producing no "test" sound at all or locking up the menu system completely.

Seems like a bad CD to me - it works fine here and for most others I believe
Admittedly I can't get a USB headset to work, but I have a feeling that has more to do with my USB hardware than Mint
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions